Topics

southern pines

Rick Perry

Ya'll,
Just wondering what method(s) anyone has come up with to model southern
pines; longleaf, slash, loblolly or whatever. I work in 1:48 and a
convincing pine has escaped me.
Thanks,
Rick Perry

Michael Hobbs

Rick,

I also would be interested in see what method people are using. As I
also model in O scale. The only one that I've found was for HO slash
pines.

http://home.comcast.net/~bonevalleyscalemodels/slashpines.html

Mike Hobbs

--- In southeastforestindustrymodeling@..., "Rick Perry"
<railsend@...> wrote:

Ya'll,
Just wondering what method(s) anyone has come up with to model
southern
pines; longleaf, slash, loblolly or whatever. I work in 1:48 and a
convincing pine has escaped me.
Thanks,
Rick Perry

Jim Buckner

Rick, I don't know if my message sent or not -- I wasn't through
editing it and it disappeared. Anyway, I use crepe myrtle. I look
for straight branches with tips that tend to point up. I probably
discard about 80% of the branches. There is a school near me that has
a LOT of crepe myrtles, and every spring they cut them back. One day
I loaded up an enormous amount of branches and hauled them home. It
helped with their cleanup, so everyone was happy.

Some of the branches are very large and would probably work even in G
scale. The smaller ones might work as background trees.

If you're interested, somewhere I have a couple photos of the trees
I've made and I can send them to you.

Jim