Topics

[southeastforestindustrymodeling] Recommended reading

Steven Holding

Frank
You are right but some times we get too involved with other pursuits. 
On another list I belong to they were talking about old Camp Claiborne in La.  It was logged out land the Army built a new post on in 1941 and the construction photos show the logged out land.  Today it is hard to find locations because of the regrowth.
Was at a Native Plant Society meeting on Tue and there are old logging lines used as trails in the Cowasee area of SC.
On a train trip last week from Knoxville to Ashville saw a couple large old paper mills along that line of the NS and at least one looks like Hardwood mill
Talking of NC I have not seen any Swamp Loggers on TV of late  One of the best series they had on logging
Steve in SC

To: southeastforestindustrymodeling@...
Sent: Wed, November 16, 2011 3:01:58 PM
Subject: [southeastforestindustrymodeling] Recommended reading

I note that the last post was July of this year. I am as guilty as anyone for my lack of activity. Don has been kind enough to provide us a source of info that is very much lacking on the internet. Almost all logging info involves the mountains in the west with the southeast being slim pickings. Even less info is available on logging in the coastal regions of the southeast but I do have several recomendations.

1. "Looking for Longleaf" by Lawrence S. Early. Although not about railroads directly it does talk some about logging and another industry we don't think about to often - the gathering of turpentine.

2. "A Historian's Coast - Adventures into the Tidewater Past" by David Cecelski. This book has one chapter devouted to logging in the Great Alligator Swamp in coastal North Carolina. There is also a chapter on gathering of turpentine.

3. "Carolina Riverboats and Rivers - the Old Days" by Earl White. Although not about railroads, this is a fasinating history of the many small river boats that cruised the various rivers in both North Carolina and South Carolina. I'm sure there was some interaction between the railroads and the river boats (if not in real life in my imagination).

Enough of this - I hope I have tweeked your interest and we can take the load off of Don.

Frank Frazier