Topics

[southeastforestindustrymodeling] The Suwanee River Locomotive Photos on ...

Bill Donahue

Don.,
I noted mention of O M Cross...he later became general manager of Dowling & Camp's mill at Slater, FL.  His wife ran the company's hotel, his oldest son (dont have his name) was the chief sawyer and his second son, Jesse Murry Cross, operated the commisary department.  Before the mill shut down Murry closed the commisary store at Slater and opened a general store at the intersection of Slater Rd and S.R. 78, named Murry's Country Store.  The building still stands.
In 1996 I rented an apartment from the sawyer's widow, in Tice.  Unfortunately she moved to Atlanta, and is probably gone now.