From: Donnie Hensley
To: southeastrrhistory@...; ACL-SAL-SCLmodeler@...; abandonedrailroadsoftheus@...; FlaRRHistory@...; Florida Railfan ; GaRRHistory@...; Serails ; Southeast Rails ; southeastforestindustrymodeling@...; "Southeastrrhistory@..."
Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:24:33 AM
Subject: [southeastforestindustrymodeling] A Day on the Loping Gopher

Russell Tedder has written a short 20 page coil bound book called "A
Day on the Loping Gopher".
This fascinating book takes a detailed look at the train operations of a
Southern short line on August 18th, 1954 that begins from 3:45am when
the crew of mixed train # 1 & 2 were called and ends when the crew of #3
& 4 ties up in Live Oak at a minute past midnight. In between five
crews, two switch engines, four extras, and six schedule trains handled
43 loads and 51 empties in a 20 hour period. This also includes it's
sister road, the South Georgia's operations in Perry. Russell was the
Perry agent at this time and would later become the dispatcher. Also
mentioned is ACL and SAL in Live Oak and ACL in Perry.

This great booklet is available direct from Russell at $10 each plus $2
for S&H.
These are professionally printed and bound at Kinkos and Russell is
pretty much selling these at cost.
He has 18 available out of an initial run of 50 so they will become a
rare item one day.

If you want to see what real railroading was about, please run (don't
walk) to your post office and mail a check to:
Russell Tedder
302 Fork River Road
Sherwood, AR 72120-5800

--
Donald R. Hensley, Jr.
Tap Lines

Donnie Hensley <taplines@...>

Steve
Great reading ain't it!

And this is just the tip of the iceberg, wont be long before Russell Tedder finishes his long awaited book on the Loping Gopher and the other railroads in the Suwanee region.

Don

STEVEN HOLDING wrote:

Don
Thanks for the heads up on the loping gopher. Got my copy Friday and had a hard time putting it down
Steve

[...]

Steven Holding

Can hardly wait.
Grew up reading Mixed Trains Daily but didn't get there till the 70's.  35 years with the no. 2 RR in the country but love shortline railroading most.
Steve