Topics

Dowling & Camp Lumber Company

Bill Donahue

Guys,
Last weekend I was surfing the web and found the following website:
Florida Aerial Photography

http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/digital/collections/flap

The site has 100,000 images taken over the years. I found images of
the Dowling & Camp Lumber Company's mill and some of its rail lines,
right around the end of operations in 1944.

In the image of the mill at Slater, the Atlantic Coast Line's track is
at an angle, at the right. The D&C interchange was immediately north
of the mill. Two sidings ran down the east side of the mill, circling
to the west, south of the mill. Another siding ran down the west side,
and joined the eastside tracks, south of the mill. There were tracks
within the mill, and an outdoor storage area with some 5 tracks to thew
northwest of the mill. The track entered a yard, with a wye to the
south, then headed west to the Seaboard interchange at Tamiami, about 2
miles away.
The company began logging as the J.W. McWilliams Lumber Co.,who
loggedthe areas north of the Caloosahatchee River. The operation was
sold to Dowling & Camp, who bought timber rights to land in the Alva
area. Logging continued there until 1944, when they ran out of yellow
pine.
See the 'Taplines' article "Cabbage Stacks at Slater" for more info.

Bill