RSPDX Ubuntu 20.04 CUBIC SDR #DigitalSoftware #RSPdx #Ubuntu

Ken Hendrickson

Has anyone gotten their RSPdx to work with Ubuntu 20.04. It seems the API is not working. When all done the RSPdx is not detected.
It works fine with windows.
Thanks,
Ken
w6bzy

Rick Kunath

SuSe Tumbleweed is my distro of choice here, so I don't have Ubuntu handy, though I could spin up a VM (I have used it before).

I have the RSP2 Pro and the RSPduo here to test with and have both of them working in SuSe.

Can you describe what you did to get the software built for us please?

Rick Kunath, K9AO

On 9/15/2020 4:13 PM, Ken Hendrickson wrote:

Has anyone gotten their RSPdx to work with Ubuntu 20.04. It seems the API is not working. When all done the RSPdx is not detected.
It works fine with windows.
Thanks,
Ken
w6bzy

Ken Hendrickson

I have multiple laptops running Mint 20. I used the video to build both using the changes on the linux install directions to change the API. I also tried just the API 3.07 with the Ubuntu install of Cubic which has soapy sdr installed. I also tried building from the Cubic website. All appear the work but none recognize the RSPdx.
I am thinking that the dx is not correctly configured in the API to work with Linux.

Rick Kunath

If you do a find using the below command in the link, does it find the RSP?

https://manpages.debian.org/testing/soapysdr-tools/SoapySDRUtil.1.en.html

Rick Kunath

Steve Brightman

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 09:22 AM, Ken Hendrickson wrote:
I also tried just the API 3.07 with the Ubuntu install of Cubic which has soapy sdr installed. I also tried building from the Cubic website. All appear the work but none recognize the RSPdx.
I am thinking that the dx is not correctly configured in the API to work with Linux.
API 3.07 DOES support the RSPdx. If you just installed the API then ypu need to re-build everything else to recognize the API.

Regards,

Rick Kunath

As Steve mentioned, the API will work, but you need to build from source after installing the API, SoapySDR, SoapySDRPlay, SoapyRemote, liquid-dsp, wxWidgets, and then Cubic SDR to recognize the hardware.

Is that what you already did or are you trying to use pre-compiled packages from the distro?

See below from SDRplay but I don't know if the API file numbers are the current revision or not. The build sequence will still be correct.

https://www.sdrplay.com/docs/SDRplay_non_Windows_Flow.pdf

Is this the procedure you followed?

Rick Kunath

On 9/16/2020 11:18 AM, Steve Brightman wrote:

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 09:22 AM, Ken Hendrickson wrote:
I also tried just the API 3.07 with the Ubuntu install of Cubic which has soapy sdr installed. I also tried building from the Cubic website. All appear the work but none recognize the RSPdx.
I am thinking that the dx is not correctly configured in the API to work with Linux.
API 3.07 DOES support the RSPdx. If you just installed the API then ypu need to re-build everything else to recognize the API.

Regards,

Ken Hendrickson

I tried the command and it said command not found. I will follow the build instructions linked in your follow up post and get back to you.
Thanks for your help.
Ken
w6bzy

Ken Hendrickson

I got as far as builing SoapySDRPlay and here is the result. Did I do something wrong?
Thanks.

Steve Brightman

Looks like you didn't install the API first.

Regards,

Ken Hendrickson

That is incorrect. Installing it was the first thing I did. I have attached a screen shot of my Downloads. Note that it has had chmod done. I have ran it a second time.
Appreciate your help.
Ken

Andy @ SDRplay

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately, for the RSPdx, you have the wrong version of SoapySDRPlay. The version in the pothosware repository only supports the API 2.13.

For RSPdx support and API 3.07, use this...

git clone https://github.com/SDRplay/SoapySDRPlay

Best regards,

Andy

Ken Hendrickson

Thanks Andy,
Trying that next.
Ken

Ken Hendrickson

Success I have SoapySDRPlay installed and SoapySDRUtil --info shows available fatories... sdrplay.
Do I need to do step 5 SoapyRemote?
Ken

Ken Hendrickson

CubicSDR did not build from directions. Attached are two files showing output from the command.
Almost there if I can get this to finish.
Thanks,
Ken

Ken Hendrickson

Here is the CMakeOutput.log

Andy @ SDRplay

Hi Ken,

The first error says that you have too many versions of OpenGL libraries installed and it doesn't know which one to use. I haven't come across this before but it looks from the images that it's more of a warning than an error.

The 2nd error says that it cannot find wxWidgets - you will have needed to build that before building CubicSDR - did you do that? If you've done that then it's possible that the path you gave the CubicSDR builder is different to the one you built the wxWidgets in - they just need to match.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Ken Hendrickson

I used all of the directions directly from the link at SDRplay,.https://www.sdrplay.com/docs/SDRplay_non_Windows_Flow.pdf.
Should I try to uninstall OpenGL libraries if synaptic shows more than one.
I followed that links description as to order so yes I installed wxWidgets.
Kem

Andy @ SDRplay

Hi Ken,

Can you show me your cmake command line for CubicSDR?

Andy

Ken Hendrickson

This is exactly how I built wxWidgets.
cd ~/Devwget https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/releases/download/v3.1.0/wxWidgets-3.1.0.tar.bz2
tar -xvjf wxWidgets-3.1.0.tar.bz2
cd wxWidgets-3.1.0
mkdir -p ~/Dev/wxWidgets-staticlib
./autogen.sh./configure --with-opengl --disable-shared --enable-monolithic\--with-libjpeg --with-libtiff --with-libpng --with-zlib --disable-sdltest \--enable-unicode--enable-display --enable-propgrid --disable-webkit \--disable-webview--disable-webviewwebkit \--prefix=`echo ~/Dev/wxWidgets-staticlib` CXXFLAGS="-std=c++0x"
make -j4
make install

Andy @ SDRplay

Hi Ken,

Right, but I need to see your cmake command line for CubicSDR

Best regards,

Andy