Working on a Lionel Atlantic

Greg Elmassian

Well, I bought one of these finally. They can go for over $200 on
ebay, and often are messed up.

I got one for $99 in what appeared to be good shape, but further
investigation shows several things need to be fixed or repaired.

I've found some good fixes, and posted them on my web site.

Look under TRAINS...MOTIVE POWER...LIONEL

It's a nice-looking loco, and the drive train is actually rugged.
Adding 3 pounds of weight then makes sense, and it might pull a
resonable passenger car consist.

Regards, Greg
www.elmassian.com

Greg Elmassian

Ahh, turns out that a common item broken on these locos is a cracked
crankpin. The great news is that there are still parts available from
Lionel, and on line. They have exploded diagrams, and I bought a new
wheelset for $14, and bought new rods.

Greg

--- In sandiegogardenrailways@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Elmassian"
<greg@...> wrote:

Well, I bought one of these finally. They can go for over $200 on
ebay, and often are messed up.

I got one for $99 in what appeared to be good shape, but further
investigation shows several things need to be fixed or repaired.

I've found some good fixes, and posted them on my web site.

Look under TRAINS...MOTIVE POWER...LIONEL

It's a nice-looking loco, and the drive train is actually rugged.
Adding 3 pounds of weight then makes sense, and it might pull a
resonable passenger car consist.

Regards, Greg
www.elmassian.com

Greg Elmassian

I replaced the axle with the cracked crankpin, so now the rods don't
rub each other.

I added the shims to limit downward travel of the axles, which would
allow the gears to come out of mesh.

The loco drivetrain is now in great shape. If Lionel had done that in
the first place, I'll bet 90% of the stripped gear problems would go away.

The loco now runs great, looking to update the tender trucks to
something less toylike and to make them pick up power. I've put an
order in to get a set of the new type Aristo C16 tender trucks, they
do not use the carbon brushes to pick up power.

Greg