How does the MTH big boy look on 1:29? Wait for Aristo Mallet?

Greg Elmassian

Well, I, like many G scalers have been drooling over "big iron". I
had a hard time trying to decide between 1:29 and the more pristine
1:32 1 scale.

After looking at 1:32 offerings, which were primarily really nice
scale models which cost thousands of dollars, and looking at the
size, which seemed noticably smaller than the 1:29 stuff, I have gone
to G scale.

Imagine my surprise when I saw the MTH big boy running a string of
Aristo heavyweights on the big G scale modular layout at the Queen
Mary show.

After visiting the MTH booth (which was outside next to the entrance)
and the Aristo booth with the mallet up on rollers, I kept coming
away with the impression that there was very little difference in
size.

I finally went up to the Aristo booth, and used a piece of paper to
measure from top of the rail to the top of the sand dome on the
mallet... zip to the outside, and ask the MTH guy to stop the train.

There was only about 3/8" difference in height! Now, of course I know
that the big boy is bigger in real life, but if I am to spend $1,000
on a compound loco in the near future, that MTH is hard to beat! The
sound system sounds great, the loco looks great, it is able to cope
with 4 foot radius curves (looks awful, but on 5 foot curves, no
problem).. and the smoke unit, wow. It puffs!

I'm seriously considering getting the MTH unit, and converting it
over to DCC... although they have a remote control system, I think it
is not DCC.

Now, a big boy in 1:29 would be great, and bigger, but how long will
that be?

Something else caught my eye... the operating cars. It might be fun
to get a few for the kids visiting...

It gives pause.

Of course, I think the compounds are the exception.. If I look at the
rest of the loco's available in both scales, I can get a Mike,
Hudson, etc. for $300-$400 in G scale, and I'm up at $800 to stay in
1:32 even from MTH.

Hmmm...

Comments?

Greg