Re: Working on a Lionel Atlantic

Greg Elmassian
 

I replaced the axle with the cracked crankpin, so now the rods don't
rub each other.

I added the shims to limit downward travel of the axles, which would
allow the gears to come out of mesh.

The loco drivetrain is now in great shape. If Lionel had done that in
the first place, I'll bet 90% of the stripped gear problems would go away.

The loco now runs great, looking to update the tender trucks to
something less toylike and to make them pick up power. I've put an
order in to get a set of the new type Aristo C16 tender trucks, they
do not use the carbon brushes to pick up power.

Greg

Join SDGRS@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.