ok so I got a decoder and opened the bachmann loco

Greg Elmassian

wow, what a lot of wires! 2 sets of power wires from a hole between
the motor and drivers (i.e. can't see inside) that come up into the
boiler. There are 2 switches that are behind the smokebox door, one
does the on off of the smoke unit, the other sets the default
direction (nmra is different from standard g scale)

trying to figure out if I should go to extra care to be able to
restore the stock dc wiring or not.

got a 4 amp decoder from NCE, came with the DCC system (10 amp
booster)

asked some questions on the forums, waiting for some answers.

Join SDGRS@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.