Re: The Flyer Crawl?

Chris Harding

Tom Stoltz said:
"I have been in recent communication with Ken about PWM controllers for DC operation and I have been playing with a PWM LED dimmer.
Result: My SNS DC can motor converted K5 will crawl about the same as my AM GG1.  I also tried a 282 that I converted to DC with a full wave bridged rectifier (leaving the Flyer motor intact) and it will crawl, but not as slow as a can motor and requires higher voltage. ... Ken knows way more about PWM than I could ever hope to learn, but my memory is PWM will get ‘balky’ motors to turn at lower voltages. "

I thought PWM (Pulse Width Modulator) only varies the width of the pulse, not the voltage.  If the problem is with motors not operating properly on lower voltage, then the full voltage (but only for a very short duration that the PWM allows) should solve the too-low-voltage problem.  Is there a minimum duration below which Flyer motors stall even with 12-15 volts?   Do 3-pole motors require longer duration than 5 or 7-pole motors for a given RPM?

Tom also said, "I’ve even used everyday dimmer switches and found them to have better slow speed control than the Flyer transformer."  Some years ago, I tried using the Flyer transformers but with the track power leads going to the fixed 15-volt terminal instead of the base post.  This gives a voltage of 0 to 8 volts instead of 7-15.  I found it worked quite well but with several caveats: the voltage controller works in reverse of what's normal--the maximum voltage occurs when the controller is in the "off" position, and the minimum is when the controller lever is full "on"; accessories that use the base rail as part of their power circuit won't operate unless their other power wire is connected to the base post; using other transformers for adjacent track blocks may cause temporary shorts to occur when a train is passing over the rail joints between the adjacent blocks.

Chris Harding

Join S-Trains@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.