220102, the "EMCOMM Hub" on Keller at 2000 hours, Sunday, "Using the Acronym PACE" with Rick, KK6CTT

Rick KK6CTT

Edited

  Mission Statement for the "EMCOMM Hub" on Keller:

"Provide a networking environment that fosters sound Keller Peak Repeater practices with respect to emergency communications and preparedness."

  • All amateur radio operators are invited to participate.
  • To follow along you can find tonight's outline at hub.rivecg.net along with many past topics/information for reference.
  • Held every Sunday night at 2000 hours (8 p.m.) California local time.
    • KPRA 146.385 (+) PL 146.2
    • or, KE6TZG-R on Echolink
I.    Administrative:
For operational guidance; always refer to the KPRA guidelines found here:  http://kpra.net/guidelines.html

NOTE:  If you would like to be a featured guest who has an organization that meets the net criteria and you would like to highlight it in a subsequent net, please open a dialog with Rick, KK6CTT at rngr86@...  Please put "EMCOMM Hub" in the subject line for easy identification.

Scope
:

  • Facilitate education and training that draws willing amateur radio operators to serve as stewards of the Keller Peak emergency communications community.  Become "The Hub" of information that prepares us to efficiently recognize and adjust to situations where proper handling of priority and emergency traffic is necessary.
  • Allow groups and individuals who participate in emergency communications and preparedness to share their experiences while providing opportunities for operators to volunteer with the organizations that provide the best fit.
  • Establish sound practices within the Keller Peak Repeater Association that recognizes and addresses the "greater good" principle in the eventuality the repeater becomes "The Hub" of emergency communication operations.
  • Flow of the net will include the following but will remain flexible:
    • Any updates from KE6RYZ, Dennis concerning the repeater.
    • Guest speaker(s) sharing personal, agency or organization information (see "scope of this net"):
      • Personal experience due to an event or personal knowledge based on work/volunteer experience.
      • Governmental or Nongovernmental organization (NGO) viewpoint.
      • Or, the club frame of reference.
    • Public Service Announcement:
      • Wrap up with something relative to the group that ends the net on a positive note.
Frequently heard courtesy tones on the repeater:
  • Dah Dit Dit Dit (- . . .):  "B" signifies the repeater is running on back-up power:
    • "Routine" QSOs should be avoided.
    • Brief "Priority" and "Emergency" traffic may be passed which may include directing operators to another repeater or simplex net.
    • Net controllers please refrain from conducting roll calls and use the net to share or exchange only important information.
  • Dah Dah Dit (- - .):  The "G" tone identifies power is derived through onsite generator backup power:
    • "Routine" QSOs should be avoided.
    • Brief "Priority" and "Emergency" traffic may be passed which may include directing operators to another repeater or simplex net.
    • Net controllers please refrain from conducting roll calls and use the net to share or exchange only important information.
  • Dah Dit Dah (- . -):  The "K" tone signifies the repeater has dropped and is awaiting the next station.
  • Dah Dit (- .):  The "N" signifies the repeater is in "net" mode.  This may include automatically or manually linked reflectors/nodes.
II.   Check-ins
  • IRLP and EchoLink Check-ins:  Call, Name & Location
  • RF Check-ins:  Blocks of 5 calls:  Call, Name & Location
    • We will:
      • Check-in participants as we get comments, questions and suggestions.
      • Ask for check-ins at the end of the net (time permitting).
III.   Announcements:
  • W6LIK, Midge:
  • KM6UWI, Ed:
    • Amateur License Testing, every 2nd Tuesdays of the month 0800, $15 Exam fee
      • American Legion Post 426, Yucaipa, 12167 California St. TO REGISTER send Email to WD6H@...
    • Hamster Net, first WED of the month, 1930, on HF starting on 7.223; for more information please contact Ed at km6uwi@...
  • AE6CO, Chet:
    • Local Tech Net on the CBARC or W6JBT Repeater:  https://w6jbt.org/
      • 146.850 (-) PL 146.2
      • Each weekday morning the “Tech Net” is held from 0700-0800 on the W6JBT repeater or Echolink at W6JBT-R.  This net is designed to bring local hams together to talk about radio issues, new products; questions and answers about everything “ham."
  • Looking for more net time?  We've had some good reports of a welcoming repeater further west that holds two weekday nets at 0900 and 2100 hours on the Catalina Repeater:  http://www.cara.radio/
    • 147.090 MHz (+) No PL
  • Keller Peak nets featured here:  https://kpra.net/nets.html
  • Recognition from the ARRL Volunteer Monitoring Program:
    • I did not know what to do with this but I realize it is something that should be shared with the EMCOMM Hub Group and the Keller Peak Repeater Association for their support.  You were all instrumental in helping with this project and another thanks to the West Riverside County ARES for hosting the situational training on other supported repeaters as "Resource Nets" for this drill.  Additionally, I want to recognize our friends over at the National Traffic System, Grant, KK6AHZ and our partners and fellow net controllers on the Catalina Repeater for helping to add depth to the drill.  This was and continues to be a shared effort and passion of many amateur radio operators!
    • Job well done, everyone!
  • Any other announcements?  Please send them to Rick, rngr86@... if you would like to make an announcement during the net.
IV.    Using the Acronym "PACE"  Primary, Alternate, Contingency and Emergency planning.
  • Before we start the new topic, as discussed in our last net "Back to Basics" net last week, what have you implemented, plan to implement or would like to refresh in your preparations for 2022?
  • P-A-C-E:
    • Primary:
    • Alternate:
    • Contingency:
    • Emergency:
  • Mike Glover from Fieldcraft Survival and Josh, KI6NAZ (HRCC)(200320):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2eFwHRW_30
  • What are Tactical Communications?  Josh with Mike Glover Fieldcraft Survival (200801):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkfHtzTL6vA&t=0s
  • Josh, Ham Radio Crash Course (200815):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNCQhbkCqpY&t=52s
  • Always a great consideration, revert back to the ARRL Field Resource Manual:  http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Public%20Service/ARES/ARESFieldResourcesManual_rev10-2019.pdf
    • Appendix 6
    • Wilderness Protocol
    • The Wilderness protocol (see page 101, August 1995 QST) calls for hams in the wilderness to announce their presence on, and to monitor, the national calling frequencies for five minutes beginning at the top of the hour, every three hours from 7 AM to 7 PM while in the back country.  A ham in a remote location may be able to relay emergency information through another wilderness ham who has better access to a repeater. National calling frequencies: 52.525, 146.52, 223.50, 446.00, 1294.50 MHz.
VI.  Food For thought:

Rick KK6CTT

Russ, KD6JGZ, mentioned this on the net and followed up by emailing me the link for the following FEMA courses:  100, 200, 300, 400, 700 and 800.

Margaret Bash W6LIK

https://youtu.be/fLVzvMTgGDY

Yhis is  the video I mentioned tonight. Well worth watching yearly.   Midge

Rick KK6CTT

Edited

Midge, W6LIK, added this link to the discussion:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLVzvMTgGDY

Video description:  Downed Power Line Safety

This was the training video we were shown in a CERT class and it covers a lot of information.  A great video to archive for training, thanks Midge!

If you come across a downed power line, stay as far away from it as you can and call Puget Sound Energy at 1-888-225-5773. Assume it is live. Never touch a downed power line or anything near it. Do not drive over down power lines. Should a power line fall on your car when you're driving, slowly continue to move completely clear of it. If your car can't move away from the power line, stay in the car until help arrives.