210905-210912, The "EMCOMM Hub" on Keller Sunday at 2000 hours (PST), "The Hub's One Year Anniversary" with Rick, KK6CTT and Jim, AG6IF

Rick KK6CTT

Edited

  Mission Statement for the "EMCOMM Hub" on Keller:

"Provide a networking environment that fosters sound Keller Peak Repeater practices with respect to emergency communications and preparedness."

o  All amateur radio operators are invited to participate.
o  To follow along you can find tonight's outline at hub.rivecg.net along with many past topics/information for reference.

For operational guidance; always refer to the KPRA guidelines found here:  http://kpra.net/guidelines.html

NOTE:  If you would like to be a featured guest who has an organization that meets the net criteria and you would like to highlight it in a subsequent net, please open a dialog with Rick, KK6CTT at rngr86@...  Please put "EMCOMM Hub" in the subject line for easy identification.

Scope
:

  • Facilitate education and training that draws willing amateur radio operators to serve as stewards of the Keller Peak emergency communications community.  Become "The Hub" of information that prepares us to efficiently recognize and adjust to situations where proper handling of priority and emergency traffic is necessary.
  • Allow groups and individuals who participate in emergency communications and preparedness to share their experiences while providing opportunities for operators to volunteer with the organizations that provide the best fit.
  • Establish sound practices within the Keller Peak Repeater Association that recognizes and addresses the "greater good" principle in the eventuality the repeater becomes "The Hub" of emergency communication operations.
  • Flow of the net will include the following but will remain flexible:
    • Any updates from KE6RYZ, Dennis concerning the repeater.
    • Guest speaker(s) sharing personal, agency or organization information (see "scope of this net"):
      • Personal experience due to an event or personal knowledge based on work/volunteer experience.
      • Governmental or Nongovernmental organization (NGO) viewpoint.
      • Or, the club frame of reference.
    • Public Service Announcement:
      • Wrap up with something relative to the group that ends the net on a positive note.
Frequently heard courtesy tones on the repeater:
  • Dah Dit Dit Dit (- . . .):  "B" signifies the repeater is running on back-up power:
    • "Routine" QSOs should be avoided.
    • Brief "Priority" and "Emergency" traffic may be passed which may include directing operators to another repeater or simplex net.
    • Net controllers please refrain from conducting roll calls and use the net to share or exchange only important information.
  • Dah Dah Dit (- - .):  The "G" tone identifies power is derived through onsite generator backup power:
    • "Routine" QSOs should be avoided.
    • Brief "Priority" and "Emergency" traffic may be passed which may include directing operators to another repeater or simplex net.
    • Net controllers please refrain from conducting roll calls and use the net to share or exchange only important information.
  • Dah Dit Dah (- . -):  The "K" tone signifies the repeater has dropped and is awaiting the next station.
  • Dah Dit (- .):  The "N" signifies the repeater is in "net" mode.  This may include automatically or manually linked reflectors/nodes.
Check-ins
  • IRLP and EchoLink Check-ins:  Call, Name & Location
  • RF Check-ins:  Blocks of 5 calls:  Call, Name & Location
    • We will:
      • Check-in participants as we get comments, questions and suggestions.
      • Ask for check-ins at the end of the net (time permitting).

 "The Hub's One Year Anniversary" with Rick, KK6CTT and Jim, AG6IF

I.   Announcements:
  • Article:  Amateur ham radio operators help LAFD keep residents safe during emergencies @ Spectrum News 1
    • A great look at Los Angeles Fire Department ACS
  • Reasons to support ARRL:  FCC approval to flex greater than 300 baud limit in support of Hurricane Ida (Click here).
  • Licensing and testing:
    • Amateur License Testing, every 2nd Tuesdays of the month 0800, $15 Exam fee
      • American Legion Post 426, Yucaipa, 12167 California St. TO REGISTER send Email to WD6H@...
    • General Class Ham Cram session: (KD7UA, Chuck) On September 5 and 19, the Yucaipa Valley Amateur Radio Club with testing on the 19th. We have a number of people with Technician licenses and we are trying to help encourage them to move on to the General Class License. Contact Chuck KD7UA@...
  • Great ShakeOut Plans?
    • West Riverside County ARES:
      • 21 OCT 21, 10:30, check-in net.
      • 23 OCT 21, 0900, more information to follow.
  • Any other announcements?  Please send them to Rick, rngr86@... if you would like to make an announcement during the net.
II.   Evacuation Plans, while it is still fresh, from the Nevada area (AG6IF):  Click here for the SIERA Radio Club
  • Rule of three
    • 3-seconds arterial bleeding
    • 3-minutes without air
    • 3-hours without shelter
    • 3-days without water
    • 3-weeks without food
    • 3-months without healthy social interaction
  • Where are you going to go?
  • Will the laws there frown on the items you are bring with you?
    • Crossing state lines with firearms and ammunition?  Could this be a major concern?
    • Weight and bulk
  • Major Stuff
    • Proper clothing/shelter, water, food & social comfort...
    • Phones + chargers/cables
    • Hearing Aides + Batteries
    • Tool Bag
    • Emergency Radio + Charger
    • Batteries [AA + AAA] from Refrig
    • Keys [All ATVs, Ammo Boxes, House]
    • Cameras [Nikon & Garmin] + Chargers
    • Documents [Wills, Import Papers, Birth Certificates...]
    • Books
    • Medicine:
      • Prescriptions
      • OTC
    • Security:
      • Rifles, pistols & shotguns
      • Ammunition & magazines
      • Spare batteries and other accessories
    • Electronics:
      • Laptop + Charger
      • Phone + Charger
      • External drives
        • HD
        • Thumb/memory sticks
    • Glasses + Hearing Aids
    • Cash + Coins
      • Roll(s) quarters
      • Special currency/barter
    • Guitars
    • Both HTs + Chargers + xtra Batts
    • Wallets/Purses [all IDs]
    • Cosmetics, etc
    • Clothing  [Underwear]
  • other items discussed
    • Passwords
    • 7 years tax papers?
    • family photos, hanging on wall.
    • house inventory /pictures
    • list of important numbers, insurance companies, etc
    • suggest sorting list so you are working on the
  • most important items, if you have only 10 minutes notice, versus 2 hours notice.

III.  One year anniversary for the EMCOMM Hub; where we've been; the good, the bad, the ugly; and, where we're going:

Rick KK6CTT

Edited

I.   Announcements:
  • Licensing and testing:
    • Amateur License Testing, every 2nd Tuesdays of the month 0800, $15 Exam fee
      • American Legion Post 426, Yucaipa, 12167 California St. TO REGISTER send Email to WD6H@...
    • General Class Ham Cram session: (KD7UA, Chuck) On September 5 and 19, the Yucaipa Valley Amateur Radio Club with testing on the 19th. We have a number of people with Technician licenses and we are trying to help encourage them to move on to the General Class License. Contact Chuck KD7UA@...
  • Great ShakeOut Plans?
    • West Riverside County ARES:
      • 21 OCT 21, 10:30, check-in net.
      • 23 OCT 21, 0900, more information to follow.
  • Any other announcements?  Please send them to Rick, rngr86@... if you would like to make an announcement during the net.
  • KK6CTT will not be available to host the net on 26 SEP 21 or 03 OCT 21 but we have some host who will stand in and hopefully bring a more than welcomed change:
    • 26 SEP 21, guest speaker KD6ESZ, Yvette out of Rancho Cucamonga will host the net.
      • "Viewpoints:  Ladies, let's talk about our perspective concerning amateur radio and preparedness" with Yvette, KD6ESZ
      • Yvette was chosen to help balance the discussion out and promote an opportunity for the women to come out and bring their views to the net.
      • It should be a great opportunity to get a different viewpoint with men still absolutely invited to participate as well.
      • Looking to see if there are viewpoints that we have been missing and what can be learned from a "woman's perspective."
        • Budget for equipment
        • Food and water storage concerns
        • Training the family could benefit from that has not been addressed
        • Anything males have failed to address that may be a piece that the ladies have not been shared.
    • 03 OCT 21, guest speaker Ray, N6KZM is going to reveal insight into his research of power stations also known as solar generators.
      • Ray is one of the original founders of the RECG group and does a fair amount of volunteer work with many agencies to include the Solera Radio Club and HOA.
      • Through Ray's travels, he has seen a place for this equipment and he is happy to share his insight with the group.
II.  On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 05:47 PM, Rick KK6CTT wrote:
  • Where do we plan to go?
    • The good?
    • The bad?
    • The ugly?
    • How to improve?
  • Please share your thoughts and skills on the net, in person.  Start the dialog with Rick, KK6CTT at rngr86@...

Rick KK6CTT

Edited

We've gotta post the notes from the net so that they are available to address next year.  It would be a "failure" if we did not take the suggestions and put effort into working through them the best we can.  Having a list of suggestions is where we will start and in no particular order or precedence from the 09/12/21 net.
  • + Outline
  • + Networking
  • + Simplex exercise
    • + Working relays
    • + Graphics that supports what worked and what did not then going back and trying to work the "relay solutions" into the mix
    • - Explain the use of graphics for those who are not familiar with plotting and deciphering results of a communication exercise (late add but valuable to work on)
  • +/- Guest speakers to share their field of expertise
  • + Variety
  • - Drills, let's do more
  • - Let's work on a meet and greet between those we have establish a rapport with on the radio...the next level
  • + Research on topics has been helpful and if needed gives a good head-start
  • + Information keeps the juices flowing
  • + Broad scope of topics
  • - Readiness, training, mixing it up with some thought provoking scenarios and less than best case scenario
  • - Other modes of communication
  • - Practice dropping down from Keller
  • + Tools for the toolbox
  • + Getting back into radio...see the need for both preparedness and EMCOMM
  • + DOD is watching and taking note of what is available; Keller is a great resource
  • +/- Simplex exercise was good but there is always room for more
  • - More drills
  • - Preparedness from more than one location (e.g., driver on road a lot; family at home)
  • - Liaison with other repeater groups
    • Consider establishing MOUs
  • - Skywarn
  • - Earthquake preparedness
  • - SHARES
  • - Winlink/VARA
  • - Drills (I see a pattern)
  • +/- Participate in public event support
  • - HF topics
  • - Simplex
    • Help areas establish sound plans for both repeater and simplex work
  • + Continue to foster sound networking between repeaters (e.g., Keller and Catalina)
+    We need to sustain
+/-  We need to build on what we have touched on
-     Have touched on lightly or not at all; room for improvement

I want to thank everyone who has supported us over the years.  Yes, this is a new net on Keller but it has been a project of the Riverside Emergency Communications Group for over 6 years.  I want to also thank those who faithfully participate and even the newcomers who are just now seeing the potential of the EMCOMM Hub on Keller.  Let's keep up the tempo and mix of networking!

Rick, KK6CTT