zip file problems with RigPi2

Jeff Francis™

I bought RigPi2 from MFJ this earlier today, and had absolute fits trying to unzip it. It appears to use a nonstandard/broken/proprietary zip compression that won't properly unzip with standard tools on Linux or Mac. I called MFJ support, and they told me it could only be unzipped with Winzip. Of course, if you don't happen to own or have access to a Windows machine, that's a problem (Winzip doesn't appear to run under Wine - at least not on any of my Linux systems).

If you find yourself in this same situation, here's what's worked for me:

Download and install p7zip (it's "sudo apt install p7zip" on a Debian/Mint/Ubuntu system). Rename the RigPi file that you downloaded from a .zip extension to a .p7 extension (otherwise, p7zip refuses to touch it).

Now you can decompress it:

p7zip -d -k RigPi2\ \(Current\).7z

p7zip will bitch and moan and complain, but it does seem to successfully decompress the file. The zip file of the filesystem image that's inside the original zip file appears to be a standard zip that will extract with standard tools, which you can then dd onto your memory card and boot.

They really need to fix the nonstandard zip file on the MFJ site. There are lots of people in the world who don't own Windows machines, and using a proprietary form of Zip seems like a really bad idea.

Jeff/N0GQ

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Jeff,

I’m glad you solved the issue and posted your solution.  It turns out that the size of the file is a problem for many unzipping programs.  The zip is not broken or non-standard.  You will see this issue, especially for Linux systems, by googling.  With the proper unzip program, there are no problems on a Mac, Windows or Linux.

MFJ is aware of this problem and their tech support has the solution you found.  I’m sorry you were not provided the correct information.

—Howard

Jeff Francis™

Perhaps packaging the file for download as a .tgz/.tar.gz file might be useful? If Windows users use Winzip, anyway, you're covered, as .tgz packaged files appear to be fully supported by Winzip. .tgz files are also natively supported by the standard built-in tools on every Mac and Linux system out of the box, without having to do google searches to understand error messages, call MFJ for support, and/or install additional software once you figure out the problem. Seems like it would make for a better user experience for the end users with less frustration, and reduce the support load on MFJ. The man I talked with at MFJ was a very nice and very helpful guy, but knew nothing about software. His initial suggestion was to just install Winzip on my non-Windows operating system. It would make his life easier if his instructions for Windows were "install Winzip and double-click" (which are already the instructions for that OS as things are now), and the instructions for every other OS is, "double-click on the file".

Not criticizing in any way, just want to help make the process as seamless as possible for as many people as possible. A zip file that requires non-native tools to unzip is a speed bump in the path to getting things up and running quickly and painlessly.

Jeff/N0GQ

Perry Ogletree

Another solution for MAC users may be “PowerArchiver 2021 for macOS” which is now in preview at…

https://www.powerarchiver.com/download-powerarchiver/

I have not tried it as I don’t have a MAC but it did handle the RigPi2 ZIP file with no problems on my Windows machine.

Perry K4PWO

I’m glad you solved the issue and posted your solution.  It turns out that the size of the file is a problem for many unzipping programs.  The zip is not broken or non-standard.  You will see this issue, especially for Linux systems, by googling.  With the proper unzip program, there are no problems on a Mac, Windows or Linux.

MFJ is aware of this problem and their tech support has the solution you found.  I’m sorry you were not provided the correct information.

Thanks, Jeff, good points.  I’d like to offer both .tgz and .zip, but I don’t know if the MFJ site can accommodate an option.  I’ll find out.

—Howard