Topics

Yaesu 450D to RIGPI- TX audio out to Mic input audio FIX #audio

jim

Direct connection from RSS TX Out audio to the FT450D front panel RJ45 microphone jack would cause distorted audio overload when the PTT closed to TX. making it unusable.
I bought the MFJ 5706MD cable and pin switch board to use the 6 pin din data output for TX and RX audio. I was not happy with the various issues that affected the audio and mode switching problems.
I now have perfect TX audio with this simple circuit setup using the front panel microphone RJ45 jack. and not needing the data port or the mfj 5706md for RSS operation.

Locate MIC GRD contact #4 from top of RJ45 on ft450 and then GND conrtact #7 and connect them together then connect them to one lead of a 50 V .1uF ceramic disc capacitor (mouser part # 140-50v5-104z-tb-rc)
Them connect other cap. lead to RSS TX out GND with audio 3,5mm audio cable.

Locate MIC on ft450 RJ45 jack connect to one lead of a 100K ohm single turn potentiometer 10% (mouser part # 652-3362p1-104lf)
Them connect single lead to RSS TX out center pin. adjust for 72K ohms.

Then Adjust,
Audio speaker icon on desktop home screen left click and adjust for 60 t0 70 %

i now have clean adjustable Microphone input even when using my iphone LAN or WAN

Good luck with this arrangment its working for me.
73, N7OZ

Steve_KE4LC

Thanks Jim.  Will get the parts order out immediately!  Looking forward to trying it .
73’s, Steve KE4LC

jim

Thanks Steve,
I’m happy to help. I hope it works for your FT 450d.
Yes you may share the interface with others.
Frankly, I’m somewhat surprised
That MFJ hadn’t come up with it by now.
I’m using my ft450 with full capabilities with the RSS.
The Ft 450d is a great radio for remote operations. And they don’t cost a fortune!!!

Steve let me know how this works out for you And Dad.

On Jun 10, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Steve_KE4LC <sfwright101@...> wrote:

Thanks Jim.  Will get the parts order out immediately!  Looking forward to trying it .
73’s, Steve KE4LC

Steve_KE4LC

Hi Jim - Late on my reply, but I just wanted to get back to you to say your recommended fix for routing RigPi TX output to the Yaesu FT-450D RJ45 mic connection worked great.   Nice, processed voice signal, right in the middle/normal range for mic gain.   Thank you again for your help and circuit recommendation.   Greatly appreciated by my 93 year old Dad using my station remotely from his apartment 600 miles away.   With your permission, and of course crediting to you, I would like to recommend it to others in the same situation.

Our MFJ friends market the Yaesu 6 pin data port cable as "the solution" for audio.  Sure, it works great in 1's and 0's digital modes, but its use effectively bypasses the SSB-critical audio signal processing (compression, equalization and gain) that is processed via mic input.  Looking at the FT-450D service manual,  the schematics confirm it. I wonder how many hams without USB audio ports have given up on RigPi SSB voice communication after being unable to get their audio right on raw data port connections.   MFJ should offer a mic to RigPi TX Input cable option as well.

Thanks/73,  Steve KE4LC

Jim Yuen

Aloha Steve,

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad to be of service in getting your Dad on the air again. All my comments are "open source". If it's of  any help to others, by all means please pass it along. Howard and others have helped me when I was struggling with RSS for which I am extremely grateful.

73, Jim WH6GS