Topics

Why change to Raspberry 4?

Jan Blomquist / SM5SUH

First, I will say that I am a newbie with Raspberry and have little knowledge about what this little computer can do but I have managed to get the RigPi going in that way I want. I will not use it for anything more than what I do know.

As many others I am looking forward to the coming version 2 and I have some question regarding that upgrade.

Many people talking about RigPi 4 and that the coming version will support that. Soo My first question will be, why upgrade to Pi 4 when the 3B+ working perfect? I only use it for remote communicating on SSB from my computers and mobile phone and can not see anything that should go better with a little more powerful Raspberry? Maybe other modes or using it as a shack computer will make a difference of course. But is there any reason for me to change Raspberry?

I guess that version 2 will not be “to heavy” for the 3B+ because in that case MFJ will have a bunch of people not happy with the MFJ-1234.

Next question will be, if there are a reason for me to change to a Raspberry 4, can I in that case just replace the Raspberry in the MFJ-1234 and the extra cards will keep on going with the new Raspberry? (with the version 2 of course)

Jan / SM5SUH

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Jan,

RigPi 2 will run fine on a Raspberry Pi 3B+.  The RPi 4 is faster because of its faster CPU and additional RAM memory.  Since you are not using digital modes, your 3B+ should do fine.

Unfortunately you can't swap out the MFJ-1234 3B+ with a 4B because the connectors are in different locations.  MFJ will have a new case for the 4B.  The existing boards for audio and keying will work fine with the 4B, no changes required.

--Howard

Jan Blomquist / SM5SUH

Hello Howard and thanks for the info.

I will keep the 3B+ then and just cruse along :-)

I use the RigPi with a Samsung mobile phone about 2 hours every morning when I am out walking and then I use it now and then when I am out from home. I also let some fellow hams use it when they are in need.

Just love it. Just waiting for the Ver 2 so I get that toggle PTT when I drive the car. Looking forward to this.

Thanks for a work well done.

Jan / SM5SUH

Karl Heinz Kremer

Howard,

you may want to suggest to MFJ to sell an empty case so that somebody who wants to upgrade from a 3B+ to a 4 can just get the new case and have a system that looks just a sharp as the old one did :)

Thanks,
Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Karl,

Yes, that would be great.  MFJ monitors this forum.

--Howard

Lon Lease

Howard,
   Any timeline for the new release?  Im holding a pi 4 and audio card awaiting the new release. Thanks. Lml
Nl7le

On Sep 6, 2020 11:30 AM, "Howard Nurse, W6HN" <hlnurse@...> wrote:
Hi Jan,

RigPi 2 will run fine on a Raspberry Pi 3B+.  The RPi 4 is faster because of its faster CPU and additional RAM memory.  Since you are not using digital modes, your 3B+ should do fine.

Unfortunately you can't swap out the MFJ-1234 3B+ with a 4B because the connectors are in different locations.  MFJ will have a new case for the 4B.  The existing boards for audio and keying will work fine with the 4B, no changes required.

--Howard

Allen

Lon,
Is there a noticeable change?  Or will it do more than the 3? I am just wondering if i should jump in and fight the bleeding edge. You get tired of the bleeding edge and not just enjoy what works. I have my entire adult life been in the bleeding edge.
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

Lon Lease

Im trying to make it less rf noisy for the radio. Smaller profile, shielded inputs.

On Sep 6, 2020 3:34 PM, Allen <alhiggins@...> wrote:
Lon,
Is there a noticeable change?  Or will it do more than the 3? I am just wondering if i should jump in and fight the bleeding edge. You get tired of the bleeding edge and not just enjoy what works. I have my entire adult life been in the bleeding edge.
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

Fernando .

it should have a huge impact. if you use for instance WSJTX along gridtracker or JT9 the raspberry 3 it's just very slow to cope with that load with 1GB of RAM, upgrading to Pi4 you can get 4GB of ram which should be decent enough to work digital modes without issues.

Lon Lease

Allen,
  The answer lies in what you demand of the processor. As is, its a fine product. The audio quality is good, it can use qzr for searches and dx reports, as well as control your rig. Its ability to do more is a simple function of loading additional programs
  Keep in mind, it is a linux desktop. More memory, faster processors always improves application performance. This device runs mumble server and directly effects audio quality and latency. This will improve with the new boards.
 My interest is to improve the emi noise issue. Its going to take some work.
Hope this helps. Lml

On Sep 7, 2020 9:17 AM, "Fernando ." <ffigueroav@...> wrote:
it should have a huge impact. if you use for instance WSJTX along gridtracker or JT9 the raspberry 3 it's just very slow to cope with that load with 1GB of RAM, upgrading to Pi4 you can get 4GB of ram which should be decent enough to work digital modes without issues.

Allen

Lon,
   A very good response and interesting. My wife always asks me why do you spend all you time playing with the bleeding edge and I tell her because  I can. Lol.. I just received my Pi4 and some extra pieces parts. Lol Is not noise issues always going to be with such small boards? Thank you for your response and we shall play (bleed) together.
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO