Topics

Toggle the big PTT switch?

Jan Blomquist / SM5SUH

Hello RigPi users!

I have recently start to use a mobile phone in the car connected to my radio station via RigPi.

There is one thing that I would love to do when driving and talking in the same time and that’s to be able to toggle the big PTT switch beside the VFO.

I know the there is a toggle button but its smaller and I must scroll down leaving the display/VFO section so using the big PTT to toggle TX/RX would improve driving safety a lot.

Anybody know if there is any way to alter between toggle and momentary PTT in any setting?

If not, maybe this is something for future updates?

I love the RigPi and the thing it could do but even the best can be better, I think.

Regards from Sweden.

Jan / SM5SUH

Michael Foerster

Edited

I’m still setting up my RigPi (actually, it’s on a back burner until I can get my tower done), so I haven’t had a chance to try it, but if the RigPi allows a button to be defined, you might use something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Bluetooth-Remote-Control-Shutter-Self-timer-for-iPhone-X-8-7-6-Samsung/261777263210?hash=item3cf3240a6a:m:m0wHoIz2WtZr3h3LJiPNd9g

I use use one of these for my RemoteHams cell phone to toggle the remote PTT.

If there isn’t a way to define a Bluetooth button (or a keystroke) to a macro, it would be an enhancement that should be requested for a future release.

--
Mike, W0IH

Bob Luff

Great idea!

On Sep 19, 2019, at 6:21 AM, Janne Blomquist / SM5SUH <handla@...> wrote:

Hello RigPi users!

I have recently start to use a mobile phone in the car connected to my radio station via RigPi.

There is one thing that I would love to do when driving and talking in the same time and that’s to be able to toggle the big PTT switch beside the VFO.

I know the there is a toggle button but its smaller and I must scroll down leaving the display/VFO section so using the big PTT to toggle TX/RX would improve driving safety a lot.

Anybody know if there is any way to alter between toggle and momentary PTT in any setting?

If not, maybe this is something for future updates?

I love the RigPi and the thing it could do but even the best can be better, I think.

Regards from Sweden.

Jan / SM5SUH

Jan Blomquist / SM5SUH

In my case I just want to operate the PTT switch on the screen, not have any more equipment to use to do that.

I’ve just got an idea that’s maybe any better.

Wy not just split the big PTT button on the right of the VFO in to two and let the upper one be momentarily and the lower toggle, then we have the best of two world? Or maybe the buttons would be to small?

Jan / SM5SUH

Bo Barry <bobarr@...>

And if your PC chokes and leaves your rig on transmit forever. Or you 'choke'? 🤔

Jan Blomquist / SM5SUH

For some reason it seems that my answer from my mobile phone didn’t get trough but here is my answer regarding what happens if I 'choke'.

I guess that the deadman switch doing the job and kill the TX after the time I have set (6 minutes). If this should be a problem, why is there a TX/RX button already?

Jan  / SM5SUH

Harold Rosee

Jan,

I am not sure which phone you are using but with my iphone if I turn it sideways while pushing the PTT is locks it down.  Then you can turn the phone any way you want and it stays locked until you push it again.

If you have an iPhone give that a try.

Harold

Jan Blomquist / SM5SUH

Hello Harold, sorry no iPhone on this side, it’s a Samsung Galaxy with Android and I test it now, but it didn’t work.

In my case it would not help me as the phone is mounted in the car. Here in Sweden we are not allowed to use any type communication in the car that is handheld while driving. Everything must be handsfree even for us radio amateurs :-(

A little tap on the screen when start talking and another tap when your done I think would be satisfactory for drive safety.

image