Topics

RigPi Power Up - Help questions

WA8KHP -

1.  After the RigPi is configured and working, if the Pi is shut down when it powers up will everything automatically startup or must you manually start the software each time?

2.  Is there a "Dead ManTimer"  to automatically stop the rig from transmitting after 10 minutes or some customized time?

3.  Is there a version number or date on the HELP at RigPi.net

4.  Will the HELP file have any indication when a section is new or updated to make it easy to find this information?

5.  Is it possible for you to enable a TOPICS tab/button to show ALL of the topics in this forum?  Currently only option is NEW TOPIC.

Thanks

David - WA8KHP

Michael Young

1. Currently ya hafta start RigPi after reboot.  If you’re good with Linux there is a way to start RigPi automatically.   I personally would hafta google it and figure it out.  Your question might spawn a new feature.

2.  I’ve read the help files several times  and don’t recall a watchdog or dead man timer.  I might have missed it.   Again, you’re question may spawn a new feature.

3.  Go to Setup, System to look up the version number.  V1.0 displays the version number on the startup splash screen.

4.  When you start RigPi it will automatically check for updates and a pop up box will notify you and give you the opportunity to proceed with the update or cancel.  Otherwise go to Setup, System and there is a button to press to check for updates.

5. Sorry IDK.  Someone else I’m sure has the answer.

Mike
WB8CXO

On Apr 24, 2019, at 1:46 PM, WA8KHP - <joepic9@...> wrote:

1.  After the RigPi is configured and working, if the Pi is shut down when it powers up will everything automatically startup or must you manually start the software each time?

2.  Is there a "Dead ManTimer"  to automatically stop the rig from transmitting after 10 minutes or some customized time?

3.  Is there a version number or date on the HELP at RigPi.net

4.  Will the HELP file have any indication when a section is new or updated to make it easy to find this information?

5.  Is it possible for you to enable a TOPICS tab/button to show ALL of the topics in this forum?  Currently only option is NEW TOPIC.

Thanks

David - WA8KHP

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi David,

Please see below.

On Apr 24, 2019, at 10:46 AM, WA8KHP - <joepic9@...> wrote:

1.  After the RigPi is configured and working, if the Pi is shut down when it powers up will everything automatically startup or must you manually start the software each time?

Yes, the server starts automatically so you can reconnect right away.  Mumble client also starts up automatically on boot (but that can be changed if you wish).  You will have to log in and restart the radio connection.

2.  Is there a "Dead ManTimer"  to automatically stop the rig from transmitting after 10 minutes or some customized time?

At the top of my list for adding.

3.  Is there a version number or date on the HELP at RigPi.net

The PDF shows version 1.  As changes are made to the software or Help I’ll will add to a new “What’s New” section in Help.

4.  Will the HELP file have any indication when a section is new or updated to make it easy to find this information?

Yes, see 3.

5.  Is it possible for you to enable a TOPICS tab/button to show ALL of the topics in this forum?  Currently only option is NEW TOPIC.

Below the rigpi.groups.io link at the top of the messages window I see a button that opens a drop-down list where you can select Topics, Messages, and Polls.  Showing that option may be a user option, I’ll check.

—Howard

Thanks

David - WA8KHP

Michael Young

3.  Sorry, I misread the question.  I D K if there is a version number for the HELP pages.  I probably just missed it.

Mike
WB8CXO

On Apr 24, 2019, at 2:18 PM, Mike <wb8cxo@...> wrote:

[...]

With the first update the version number will show at the top of online Help as well as in the PDF.

I can’t find anything further about only seeing new topics, but since I am admin, that may not show.  Mike (or anyone else) what are you seeing here on the forum?

—Howard

Ben

On rigpi.groups.io the Messages can me listed by topic, message, or expanded full message.

The mumble server restarts automatically. I have been connected listening when I have done a reboot and the audio goes away until the RigPi is back up. Mumble will also tell you when it disconnects and reconnects. I also use RealVNC VNC Viewer/Connect and that also restarts automatically once set up correctly. If connected at a reboot it will wait to reconnect.
The only thing I have seen not reconnect is if you are using a connection through a browser once the link is severed you have to wait and restart the browser connection.

Reuben Stapp "Ben"
KB5ZO
Product Development Engineer
MFJ Enterprises, Inc.
662-323-5869

[...]

When I boot the RPi I see Mumble starting up automatically but not the RSS.  Pretty sure I hafta click on the Pi symbol to start the RSS.  Will investigate this evening.

Mike

On Apr 24, 2019, at 2:31 PM, Ben <bstapp@...> wrote:

[...]

The Pi symbol opens a Chrome browser which connects to the underlying server, already running.  So the server starts on reboot, but not any connected browsers.

Howard

On Apr 24, 2019, at 1:37 PM, Michael Young <wb8cxo@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom W5KUB <Tom@...>

When i boot, the rss comes up and mumble comes active.  rigpi does not start automatically. I have to click the rigpi icon to start it. Its been like this from the start i believe

Host of live ham show called Amateur Radio Roundtable every Tues night at 8:00 PM central. All shows are recorded and can be watched at any time on on our website. Our audio is also simulcast on international shortwave on 5130 Khz.   We are also on every podcast carrier if you are looking for an audio version of our program.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 3:38 PM Michael Young <wb8cxo@...> wrote:
[...]

now that you have explained it.  that is correct.   opening a browser gets you into rigpi.  so it must be running

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 3:42 PM Howard Nurse <hlnurse@...> wrote:
[...]

Howard,
You’re hard to beat!  LOL.  I’m gonna just keep reading the Help files and keepa my mout shut !

LOL

Mike
WB8CXO

On Apr 24, 2019, at 4:42 PM, Howard Nurse <hlnurse@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike, as they say, there is no such thing as a bad question. RigPi is just like a server on the ‘net.

Howard

On Apr 24, 2019, at 2:50 PM, Michael Young <wb8cxo@...> wrote:

[...]

The Help version number is at the top of the first Intro page in the release RigPi Help.  Each time a new Help version is released that number will change.  The release version doesn’t have a What’s New topic, but once we have our first “new,” it will be there.

—Howard

Michael Young

Thanks Howard!

Mike

On Apr 25, 2019, at 12:52 PM, Howard Nurse <hlnurse@...> wrote:

The Help version number is at the top of the first Intro page in the release RigPi Help.  Each time a new Help version is released that number will change.  The release version doesn’t have a What’s New topic, but once we have our first “new,” it will be there.

—Howard

WA8KHP -

THANKS to ALL who responded to my 5 questions.

I have some follow-up questions but currently working on a more important subject - connecting Apache-Labs PowerSDR software on PC to RigPi.  I will post this in a diferent Topic area.

Thanks again

David