Topics

RigPi often gets stuck on transmit with an ICOM IC-735

astronuticus@...

I'm hoping someone can help me get PTT working correctly with RigPi and my old ICOM IC-735 transceiver.  More specifically, I need help getting the RigPi to reliably stop keying the radio and return to receive when it should.

Note that the IC-735 does not have a CAT command for keying the radio.  So here is how I'm interfacing the radio to RigPi:

(1) Frequency control using a USB-Serial adapter and homebrew CI-V interface to the rig's CI-V port.  RigPi has no problem controlling the radio's dial frequency via this CI-V interface.

(2) Receive audio from the radio's accessory connector to the RigPi audio board's RX IN phono jack. No problem with receive audio.

(3) Transmit audio from the RigPi audio board's TX OUT jack to the IC-735's microphone connector.  No problem with transmit audio.

(4) PTT control from the RigPi audio board's TX OUT jack (i.e. the RING connection on the phono jack) to the rig's ACC connector (PTT pin).  This is the only part of the interface that is giving me problems.

Sometimes the user interface's PTT button (next to the web app's large Tune knob) acts as expected, like a momentary contact switch.  But very frequently the RigPi stays stuck on transmit after I release the PTT button.  Then I have to keep clicking the PTT button on and off for various lengths of time until the rig finally returns to receive mode.

The PTT button color and RCV/XMIT indicator on the Tuner display toggle as expected in response to the PTT button state.  Unfortunately, the actual radio gets stuck on transmit though, as does the PTT LED on the RigPi.  And the user interface doesn't reliably track with the actual TX/RX state of the radio.

I have unchecked the "Enable Keyer PTT" keyer setting.  And I have placed a check in the "Disable Split Polling" checkbox, as advised in some other threads.

This is not an RFI problem, because it happens regardless of whether there is any audio output (i.e. no SSB modulation).  In fact, it happens (as indicated by the PTT LED on the RigPi) even when I disconnect the PTT line from the rig.

Note that loading rigpi.local/pttoff and rigpi.local/ptton from the RigPi's browser (using a VNC session) DOES reliably turn PTT off and on.  But that is an awfully awkward way of controlling the transmitter.

Being stuck on transmit is a BIG problem for remote operation, as is the lack of a reliable user interface indication of the TX/RX state.

Does anyone know of a workaround that would stop the PTT line from getting stuck on transmit, so I can start using my RigPi for phone mode on a remote IC-735.

Thanks,
  Mark (AE7TO)

Art McGarity

Hello,
  I had the same problem with both my Yaesu FT-897 and my Elecraft KX-3.  I found a thread on this forum that suggested starting fresh with a new image on the micro sim-card would solve the problem.  I had to buy it (download version) from MFJ and then create a new image (put it on a 32 GB card instead of the original 16GB card to give me more space). But it was worth the $$ to solve the problem. The PTT has worked perfectly since, and I'm doing remote operating now with the FT-897.

Art
AC3V

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 9:22 PM <astronuticus@...> wrote:
[...]

Lon Lease

Hello. Have you tried all 3 ptt functions? Ptt button, t/r macro, and spacebar?  Do they all work the same or differently?  Does it work differently on a lan versus internet connected?  See page 49. I had that problem until i got all the configuration correct. Lml

On Jul 21, 2020 8:22 PM, astronuticus@... wrote:
[...]

Art:
Thanks for the suggestion.  The RigPi was a gift just a couple of months ago, and it is running what should be a recent version (ver 1.05).

I may try upgrading to a newer version if one becomes available.

For now, this SD-Card seems to be OK, judging from a file system check (sudo shutdown -F -r now).

Mark (AE7TO)

astronuticus@...

LML:

The outcome is the same regardless of which RigPi user interface control I try.  And all my attempts have been either local (using the RigPi's own browser) or across my LAN.  I don't think I should dare to attempt this via a remote Internet connection until it works locally.

Thanks,
  Mark (AE7TO)

Andy

Mark,
Don't go crazy, it's a known issue. The older ICOM Rig's don't have the TX status and TX command
in the command set. Rig Pi App doesn't get an expected TX status. There is supposed to be a fix in the next rev.

Not a problem with FLdigi or WSJT with your CIV interface.

I'm using an external hardware fix with a Web accessible Relay until the fix comes out.

Andy