Topics

sticky RigPi Image available for download from MFJ

RigPi, version 1.05 (the current production version), is now available for download from the MFJ web site.  The price for the download is $29.95.  This is the same software contained on the RigPi microSD card.  If you already have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and don't need the Keyer or Audio boards, the download is a perfect way to get started with RigPi.

The RigPi image is a large file, nearly 5GB in size.  If you have a slow Internet connection, the microSD card may be a better way to go.  The RigPi microSD card is available from MFJ for $49.95.

Instructions for installing the RigPi image are contained in the download.  Download the zipped file and unzip on a PC.  You will see pdf and html versions of installation help.  The Download Help file is also available in the File section:

This image will NOT run on a Raspberry Pi 4 or later computer.  It uses the Raspbian Stretch operating system which is not compatible with the Raspberry Pi 4.  RigPI 2 will be released soon that uses the Buster operating system which will run on a Raspberry Pi 4.  RigPi 2 will also be available for download from MFJ.  Once RigPi 2 is launched my plan is to provide the RigPi software on Github.  A full image will not be available, only the RigPi server will be on Github.

73, Howard W6HN

Karl Heinz Kremer

Usually when you buy software after the new release was announced, you get the upgrade for free. Does this apply here as well? Meaning, when I pay for the download of version 1.05 today, will there be a free upgrade to v2?

Thanks,

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Thanks, Karl.  We'll post information about that next week.  I agree that we need to have a way to handle recent purchases.

--Howard

Karl Heinz Kremer

Thanks Howard. I guess I’ll wait until next week ;)

gpabon757

Hi Howard,

Could you post the release notes for 1.05?

Thanks,

George

zl2ba@...

Hi Howard
Re the SD card that comes preprogrammed with the MFJ1234 with Audio Board and CW board,  can I copy the SD card and use in another Raspberry pi for another radio using another account or do I need to buy another card/ Download image.

thanks David ZL2BA

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi David,

So long as you are using additional images for your own personal use, I don’t see a problem. No need to purchase additional cards/images.  Thanks for asking!

Note you can use multiple accounts in one RigPi.

73, Howard W6HN

Kelehigh@...

How do I get a FREE download for a RIGPI SD card w/ a corrupted image?

Kevin

On 2020-06-14 23:47, zl2ba@... wrote:
Hi Howard
Re the SD card that comes preprogrammed with the MFJ1234 with Audio
Board and CW board, can I copy the SD card and use in another
Raspberry pi for another radio using another account or do I need to
buy another card/ Download image.
thanks David ZL2BA
Links:
------
[1] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/message/6118
[2] https://groups.io/mt/74848848/3544613
[3] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/post
[4] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/editsub/3544613
[5] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/leave/defanged

Garry Chessen

Howard, for those of us who purchased the MFJ1234 this year, are we going to have to pay for the version 2 image or will that be free? I received mine about the 7th of Jan.

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Garry,

Normally one would expect a grace period when a new major update becomes available.  A decision for RigPi 2 has not been made.

--Howard

Garry Chessen

Ok. Thank you.