Topics

RigPi 2 - Video in google chrome

georges.hayet@...

Hi,

If some is trying to use the VIDEO with their RigPi 2, is it possible to confirm if you are able to see the video capture. In my case it's working on the phone, on the Pi itself through VNC, but on a remote computer either with Google Chrome or MS Edge, the fideo field is empty. See images.

I saw this note in the RigPi documentation about ad blocker from browser, but I have not seen anything wrong.

- If the frame for the video show with no contained video, check the ad blocker on the
browser you are using.

Turn off the ad blocker

You can change your settings to allow ads on all sites.

  1. At the top right, click More More and then Settings and then Advanced and then Site Settings  and then Ads.
  2. Turn on Blocked on sites that tend to show intrusive ads (recommended).

Allow ads on specific sites

If you trust a site, you can add an exception to allow ads on that site.

  1. On your computer, open Chrome.

  2. Go to a page you trust that has blocked ads.
  3. To the left of the web address, click Lock Lock or Info Info.
  4. To the right of "Ads," click the Arrows Arrows.
  5. Choose Always allow on this site.
  6. Reload the webpage.

Georges.
VA2GH

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Georges,

I can confirm that RigPi video works on both Windows Chrome and Edge.  You can try connecting directly to the video using http://rigpi2.local:8081.

--Howard

Steve_KE4LC

I can confirm that RigPi 2.00 also runs very well on Firefox browsers.

73, Steve KE4LC

georges.hayet@...

Edited

Hi all,

Yes, this is what is very strange, in an independant Google Chrome window by accessing the port 8081, I can see the video, but not when it's embeded in the Web interface of RigPi ?!?!

I also notice the same issue on my Android phone if I check Desktop site. I then lose the video window.

Georges, VA2GH

KC9CBX

I'm seeing the same thing here and I think that I stumbled on why.

It appears that when you are running embedded video onthe TUner page, an external API is being called, that in my case uBlock origin is blocking, preventing video from showing. Disabling privacy protection immediately shows the video. The API in question is api.ipify.org and it is used to determine your internet-facing IP address.

Does anyone know the reason this is part of RigPi? I don't understand why would displaying video locally require a public IP.

Howard Nurse, W6HN

You are correct, RigPi does not need the WAN IP to display the video locally.  However, that isn't the case when you are away from home.  RigPi uses a src attribute to retrieve the video.  The src will be either the RigPi IP (local) or the WAN IP (remote).  RigPi determines which IP to use by comparing the RigPi WAN IP with the IP returned by ipify.org.

ipify.org is used to determine the IP of the browser you are using.

--Howard

KC9CBX

That makes sense. So, perhaps the issue here is what happens when ipify can't be reached? What should be the behavior? Maybe a more graceful degradation and an error message, rather than video window just not working?

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Good point.  I'll put in some noodle time to come up with an optimum solution.

--Howard