Topics

Remote paddle option

VE2PID

Hi folks... Any development about the possibility to operate remotely the RigPi using our CW paddle ??

73, Pierre VE2PID

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Pierre,

Coming soon!  I’m pleased with initial testing.  To support a remote paddle/bug/straight key you will need a second RigPi (for the CW Keyer board).

73, Howard W6HN

Duncan Fisken

Yay….. that is exactly what I am waiting for!!!!!

73,

Duncan, G3WZD

From: <RigPi@groups.io> on behalf of "Howard Nurse, W6HN" <hlnurse@...>
Reply to: "RigPi@groups.io" <RigPi@groups.io>
Date: Monday, 26 August 2019 at 01:03
To: "RigPi@groups.io" <RigPi@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RigPi] Remote paddle option

Hi Pierre,

Coming soon!  I’m pleased with initial testing.  To support a remote paddle/bug/straight key you will need a second RigPi (for the CW Keyer board).

73, Howard W6HN

Pierre Desjardins

A question: Will it be 'real' CW, i.e. the carrier at the remote station will be put on/off via the paddle at the other end ...? Or will it be MCW which is in reality a sidetone transmitted in SSB?
We tried MCW using the MFJ-1234 but we got bad reports (lots of IMD) so we abandoned this approach.
Thanks and 73 de VE2PID

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Pierre,

RigPi Remote CW (RigPi 2, currently in Beta) uses on/off keying, not MCW.  The RigPi Keyer board is used at the radio end to key CW.

73, Howard W6HN

Don Melcher

Could it be done with a WinKey at the client?
Don
W6CZ
DM07bk

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Don,

Yes, but you need at least a Raspberry Pi 0 to interface to the Internet at the remote end.  You can also use a PC with a program called Morse Keyer and RigPi Hub, both free.  RigPi Hub is available on the RigPi.net site.

--Howard

Don Melcher

I can envision a “client device”. You’re right, another RigPi with the audio board and keyer would be the right choice. A nice adapter for your Heil headset to the modular jack. I remember that WinKey PC program. I played with it some. IIRC you could have paddles at the client but it’s been a long while. That must have been the case because I have 4 or more of them around.

A USB foot switch and knob for tuning...

Don
W6CZ
DM07bk