Topics

Power Failure

Skip Merrill

As suggested I contacted MFJ and asked about a new SD card since my unit was still under warranty. They sent me one, no charge I installed it and everything now works. Thanks for your help.
Skip, KS4Q

Bruce N7XGR

Skip,  Did you do a backup before you made any changes to this new card?  The corrupted card can be used for the backup.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 6:06 PM Skip Merrill <ks4q.skip@...> wrote:
As suggested I contacted MFJ and asked about a new SD card since my unit was still under warranty. They sent me one, no charge I installed it and everything now works. Thanks for your help.
Skip, KS4Q

Kelehigh@...

Thanks Skip.

I need to do the same. This time I know to back up the card before I even think about putting it in the RigPi.

Is there any reference # or the name of the person that decided to give you the new card? I tried this before the Pandemic and MFJ representative insisted that I pay $49.95 to get a new card even though the device was under warranty for 1 year or so I thought.

Kevin

On 2020-08-03 16:05, Skip Merrill wrote:
As suggested I contacted MFJ and asked about a new SD card since my
unit was still under warranty. They sent me one, no charge I installed
it and everything now works. Thanks for your help.
Skip, KS4Q
Links:
------
[1] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/message/6438
[2] https://groups.io/mt/75976287/3544613
[3] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/post
[4] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/editsub/3544613
[5] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/leave/defanged

Skip Merrill

Hi Kevin,
I called MFJ support and the tech.said to send the bad card back first and they would replace it. I then sent an email to MFJ telling them what had happened and they said no problem they would just send a replacement without the bad card. I got the replacement Fedex in 3 days and everything is now working correctly. Good service from MFJ.

I was afraid to make a copy on the bad card but apparently that is ok. Can someone tell me how to make a copy?

Bruce N7XGR

Skip,  There is a clone utility built into the PI OS.  Click on the Raspberry then to Accesories
then SD Card Copier.  You use a USB 2 or 3 card read/writer for this.
Again do this before any changes are made, put the original card away for safe keeping.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 12:05 PM Skip Merrill <ks4q.skip@...> wrote:
Hi Kevin,
I called MFJ support and the tech.said to send the bad card back first and they would replace it. I then sent an email to MFJ telling them what had happened and they said no problem they would just send a replacement without the bad card. I got the replacement Fedex in 3 days and everything is now working correctly. Good service from MFJ.

I was afraid to make a copy on the bad card but apparently that is ok. Can someone tell me how to make a copy?

Dan Heather

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info on the SD backup process.  Quick question, what procedure do you use to simply increase the size of the file to the new destination card?  I currently have the RSS on a 32GB.  How do I expand that card to use all 32
gigs?

Thanks Bruce!

Dan Heather, N1DH
Middleboro MA

On 8/4/2020 1:41 PM, Bruce N7XGR wrote:
[...]

Please somebody give us a way of accomplishing what Skip asks.

Hi Kevin,
[1] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/message/6442
[2] https://groups.io/mt/75976287/3544613
[3] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/post
[4] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/editsub/3544613
[5] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/leave/defanged

Perry Ogletree

I do all my SD coping on my PC as well as keeping a copy of the SD cards
image file on my NAS. You need a SD card reader and I suggest the "Plugable"
brand at
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1427598-REG/plugable_usbc_flash3_usb_
type_c_flash_memory.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQob
ChMIw4fasMOE6wIVcQiICR025wlUEAQYASABEgJjWfD_BwE. It has been the most
reliable one I've used as my pile of dead mixed brand readers proves.
You'll need image reading/writing software and I suggest "dotNet Disk
Imager" for Windows 64-bit systems or "Win32 Disk Imager" for Windows 32-bit
systems. You use the image software to read an existing good SD card to
create the "IMG" or "ISO" file. That file is a complete sector by sector
copy of your existing SD card - BE SURE TO SAVE IT as it can be used at any
time to create a new SD card. You then take a SD card of the same size as
the original ( you can use a larger sized card but will need to re-partition
and expand it once you use it to boot the RPi) and write the software image
to the new SD using the image program. YOU CAN NOT JUST COPY THE IMAGE FILE
TO THE SD! You have to use the software to expand the image back to the
original file structure.

Perry K4PWO

On 2020-08-04 10:05, Skip Merrill wrote:
Hi Kevin,
I called MFJ support and the tech.said to send the bad card back first
and they would replace it. I then sent an email to MFJ telling them
what had happened and they said no problem they would just send a
replacement without the bad card. I got the replacement Fedex in 3
days and everything is now working correctly. Good service from MFJ.

I was afraid to make a copy on the bad card but apparently that is ok.
Can someone tell me how to make a copy?

Links:
------
[1] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/message/6442
[2] https://groups.io/mt/75976287/3544613
[3] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/post
[4] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/editsub/3544613
[5] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/leave/defanged

Perry Ogletree

The link broke... trying again...

On 2020-08-04 10:05, Skip Merrill wrote:
Hi Kevin,
I called MFJ support and the tech.said to send the bad card back first
and they would replace it. I then sent an email to MFJ telling them
what had happened and they said no problem they would just send a
replacement without the bad card. I got the replacement Fedex in 3
days and everything is now working correctly. Good service from MFJ.

I was afraid to make a copy on the bad card but apparently that is ok.
Can someone tell me how to make a copy?

Links:
------
[1] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/message/6442
[2] https://groups.io/mt/75976287/3544613
[3] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/post
[4] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/editsub/3544613
[5] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/leave/defanged

Perry Ogletree

I give up...
Here's a Tiny URL to the link.
https://tinyurl.com/yy36rx47

Perry K4PWO

[...]

Thanks Perry!

I give that a shot when I get home.

Wonder why the SD Copy utility talks about expanding to a bigger card?  Oh well, I’ll give the raspi-config utility a try.

Thanks again.

DanH

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 1:18 PM Perry Ogletree <afa4nq@...> wrote:

From the console (the little terminal icon) of directly via SSH, enter “sudo raspi-config” and look in the “Advanced” options. There is a selection to expand the file system to fill the storage device.