Topics

Power failure

Skip Merrill

Thanks Perry, my first post.

I had a power failure in the shack while using Rigpi and now have the following problems. When I boot up I have no video to the monitor. I can log on the RSS using another computer on the same net and Rigpi appears to be operating correctly. I can not log on remotely. When the Rigpi screens are up there are no indications that the Raspberry pi screen is running, no toolbars, no header or any way I can see to get to the Raspberry pi home screen. Shutting down Rigpi with setting just leaves a blank browser screen. Power loss may have corrupted memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Yuen

Aloha Skip,

Some COMMENTS.
1. "When I boot up I have no video to the monitor.". Does it mean you have a monitor directly connected to the Raspberry Pi (RPi)? If so, check your monitor. If it's okay then maybe your RPI HDMI is not working.

2. if you can connect on the same local network and it's working, it's likely nothing is wrong with the RSS.

3. Check your external (WAN) IP address which may have changed during the power outage.

4. If you're using a DDNS, check your  IP address there for validity.

5. To  check the RPI, log in locally with VNC. You should see the RPi desktop. Do this first on a locally-connected PC. Then try it again using the remote connection (i.e. the remote IP address or the DDNS address).

Hope this helps.

73,

Jim WH6GS

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 7:04 AM Skip Merrill <ks4q.skip@...> wrote:
Thanks Perry, my first post.

I had a power failure in the shack while using Rigpi and now have the following problems. When I boot up I have no video to the monitor. I can log on the RSS using another computer on the same net and Rigpi appears to be operating correctly. I can not log on remotely. When the Rigpi screens are up there are no indications that the Raspberry pi screen is running, no toolbars, no header or any way I can see to get to the Raspberry pi home screen. Shutting down Rigpi with setting just leaves a blank browser screen. Power loss may have corrupted memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skip Merrill

Hi Jim,
When I log on to the RSS using a computer on the same network I am using a different monitor. At the time of the failure I had a different monitor connected directly to the rigpi HMDI port and I have since checked both the monitor and cable, they are ok. The power wasn't off long so the RSS retained the same IP and that is what I am using to access the rigpi software which still works. I don't understand how the rigpi could be working without the Raspberry software working. When I try to log on using VNC I get a logon rejected message. I am beginning to agree that the memory card is corrupt.

Thanks,
Skip, KS4Q

Jim Yuen

Aloha Skip,

1. If your monitor tests okay, then either the Raspberry Pi HDMI connection is bad (power damage?) or the Raspbian Linux is corrupted.

2. The RigPi (RSS) app consists of a series of HTML programs residing on the Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi is the web server that processes your RigPi app which is why you can connect. So obviously the Raspberry software is working enough to allow you to connect.

3.When VNC rejects your login, it may be your login/password is wrong or corrupted. Try the default "pi" and "7388".. You can possibly download and re-install VNC on the RPi but I've never tried that myself.

It's hard to say whether the board or the software is corrupted. If you can borrow a copy of the software from a nearby ham to test vs your copy.  p.s. making a copy of the software on a spare SD card is a good backup.

I'm not an expert on this stuff as I've only worked with it since March for my club, but I've had my share of problems. Good Luck.

73. Jim WH6GS

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 10:26 AM Skip Merrill <ks4q.skip@...> wrote:
Hi Jim,
When I log on to the RSS using a computer on the same network I am using a different monitor. At the time of the failure I had a different monitor connected directly to the rigpi HMDI port and I have since checked both the monitor and cable, they are ok. The power wasn't off long so the RSS retained the same IP and that is what I am using to access the rigpi software which still works. I don't understand how the rigpi could be working without the Raspberry software working. When I try to log on using VNC I get a logon rejected message. I am beginning to agree that the memory card is corrupt.

Thanks,
Skip, KS4Q

Bruce N7XGR

Jim, Skip,  I believe that some files on the card are corrupted because of the power loss.
It is best to contact MFJ for a replacement card and start all over from scratch unfortunately.
When Skip get the new card he should clone the card onto another B4 B4 B4 (emphasized)
he does any settings changes.  Just get a USB card reader/writer and some 32 gig cards
and clone the original onto at least 1 card.  There is a clone utility built into the PI's OS
that makes this easy.  After cloning put the original card away and only use the cloned card.
After all settings are done and B4 B4 B4 any passwords are changed, do another clone.
Put the B4 password card away with the original but label them accordingly.
Now with this other cloned card he can now change the password, when all done and
everything is working just fine and you guessed it, DO ANOTHER CLONE.
Every step along you have clones to fall back on, which means if a problem arises
like this one all he has to do is to put the previous card in and do a new clone
This will save a ton of time and frustration, backup to a backup to a backup.
The instructions are very lacking in this respect that came with the unit.
Use the corrupted card for the clone job then use this card keeping the other card
for safekeeping.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 4:01 PM Jim Yuen <jimyuen808@...> wrote:
[...]

Howard Nurse, W6HN

If it is necessary to get a new card and the replacement isn't covered under MFJ warranty, you can download a new image from the MFJ web site for lower cost than a new card.

--Howard

Skip Merrill

Thanks everyone for the guidance. I think at this point I will contact MFJ and see if they will provide a card  under warranty. If not I will try the image download route and see if that works. I will let you know how it goes. If it works I will definitely make copies.

Skip, KS4Q

Kelehigh@...

Is MFJ still charging $49 for a new card?

Kevin, KJ7EHQ

wrote:

Hi Jim,
When I log on to the RSS using a computer on the same network I am
using a different monitor. At the time of the failure I had a
different monitor connected directly to the rigpi HMDI port and I
have since checked both the monitor and cable, they are ok. The
power wasn't off long so the RSS retained the same IP and that is
what I am using to access the rigpi software which still works. I
don't understand how the rigpi could be working without the
Raspberry software working. When I try to log on using VNC I get a
logon rejected message. I am beginning to agree that the memory
card is corrupt.
Thanks,
Skip, KS4Q
Links:
------
[1] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/message/6385
[2] https://groups.io/mt/75788646/3544613
[3] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/post
[4] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/editsub/3544613
[5] https://groups.io/g/RigPi/leave/defanged

martinbradford2001

If you have a spare SD card available, download a copy of the standard Raspian operating system - which is free - and try booting your RigPi with it. Obviously, that will not give you the RigPi functionality, but it will allow you to verify the Raspberry Pi board and avoid wasting time and money chasing the wrong problem. The RigPi is a standard Raspberry Pi board and should boot and run perfectly well on the standard Raspian image.

Martin (G8FXC)

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Kevin, MFJ sells the RigPi memory card for $49.95, but you can also download the RigPi 1.05 image (MFJ-1234OS) for $29.95 and not pay shipping.

--Howard