Topics

Older rotator control

Paul <paul@...>

Hi Howard

If I understand correctly RigPi only talks natively to modern rotator controllers that have USB interfaces?

Neither of my rotators is new enough to support USB (Create RC5 and a Kenpro for the VHF antenna) and so both have manual controllers. But there are third party solutions to control these older rotators from a computer USB port. For example Easy-Rotor-Control (ERC, ERC-Mini & ERC-M). But there are several other solutions out there.

Will RigPi support any of these third party solutions? Or maybe there's a market for an add on box for RigPi?

73 Paul G4DCV

Howard Nurse, W6HN

RigPi controls rotors through the Hamlib interface.  The Easy-Rotor is already supported.  You can see the full list in the Files section of this forum.

If your interface has a classic serial interface (such as the Easy-Rotor) you will need a serial-to-USB adaptor to interface with RigPi.

73, Howard W6HN

Doug Gerard

Ah.  I see it now.  Rot#404.  It says alpha status.

Doug
NP2GG
(future customer, I'm sure!)

Hayden Honeywood <haydenph91@...>

Hi Howard.
I've just received my RigPi for testing and evaluation on my YouTube page. https://www.youtube.com/c/HamRadioDX

I'm going to hook it up to my FT-991 and Yaesu G-1000DXA rotor.

I have a question though. Does RigPi only support rotating via the QRZ lookup? Or will be there facility to manually move the rotator? Sometimes it's handy to have manual control, especially if QRZ has incorrect details (i.e. operator is portable away from their gridsquare in QRZ.com).

Regards
Hayden VK7HH

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Hayden,

You can use QRZ or a manually entered bearing to move the rotor.  The Lookup function computes the bearing from QRZ (subscription required) or the included FCC Amateur Database for US hams.  In the Macro bank you will see a ROTATE button.  That function suggests a bearing based on the last call looked up, or you can enter any value you wish in the text box.

73, Howard W6HN

Hayden Honeywood <haydenph91@...>

Thanks Howard.

I had a play this afternoon. I couldn’t get my rotator control working properly but I did see the Rotate button to enter a manual number.
Occasionally it would show what I thought was the correct bearing, other times it would show NaN. So just need a bit more tinkering.

I’m using an Easy Rotator Control that connects to my Yaesu.

I also have a few other quirks so I’ll post about them separately.

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Hayden,

Others are using the RotorEZ interface with RigPi, so I’m sure we can figure out what is going on and get your interface working.  There are tests we can run from the Terminal to narrow the problem down, if necessary.  (NaN means “not a number,” which implies a failed arithmetic calculation.)

—Howard

Hayden Honeywood <haydenph91@...>

Thanks Howard,
I'll try again and see. It might possibly be related to my USB to serial allocations.

I had issues with it conflicting with the radio, so when the radio was connected it would go into transmit.

Regards
Hayden

kb1jfq@yahoo.com

Has anyone figured out a solution for the NaN issue? I have my Rotor-EZ hooked and have it turning when I remove the NaN and type in the numbers for the degrees I want, but obviously that will not if I am remotely operating.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Chuck, KB1JFQ

Loic SM5VFE

Edited

Hi Chuck,

For Yaesu G1000 rotor I use 9600 baud. GS232B. Stop 1 and the correct USB port.
I see also the NaN if I have wrong baudrate.
I use RTC 200 from CG antennas.
Regards from Loic, SM5VFE

kb1jfq@yahoo.com

Hi Loic, I have tried just about all the baud rates and have had no luck with fixing the NaN message, Thanks for info though it was definitely worth a shot trying it.

73 Chuck, KB1JFQ