Topics

Macro to set Squelch level at Yaesu FT-991 #ft-991a #yaesu #macros

Christophe de

Edited

Hi,

I can set some macro's to set power ; enter memory channels .
Now i try to add a macro to set squelch on level 10.

*0w
\0x53\0x51 is hex for "SQ"
\0x30\0x31\0x30 is hex for 10
\0x3b is hex for ; the terminator for CAT command

But this does not work. What am I doing wrong ?

73's Christophe

Steve_KE4LC

Christophe, you are missing a zero after SQ

the format is command SQ, P1=0, P2=000 to 100 and the terminator ;

SQ00100;

P1 is a placeholder 0..  I make that mistake all the time!

73, Steve, KE4LC

Christophe de

Edited

Thanks Steve for the quick response. But i don't understand the function of the placeholder P1. Can you please give me an example, how it should look then?
edit : i think i found it .

*0w \0x53\0x51\0x30\0x30\0x31\0x30\0x3b

Where can i find a list of all my macro's , so that I can post them here as a contribution to the forum

Christophe

Steve_KE4LC

Hi Christophe,  the placeholder zero, noted in the macro manual as P1 probably just has a place-holding function as the command is parsed by the FT991’s CAT Command interpreter.  If you leave the zero out, the interpreter gets lost as it is expecting the squelch amount (P2)  000-100 to start 2 places past the SQ command.  That’s what produced the error.  Many Yaesu CAT commands don’t require it.  So, its function for regular users is neutral - just, perhaps to drive us crazy when we leave it out! 😃

Steve_KE4LC

I have a collection of Yaesu FT450D macros done by others and modified and added onto by myself.  Thankfully, there  is a very big overlap throughout the FT series.  Each radio has a CAT manual available on the Yaesu website to check for differences.  There is a #Yaesu subgroup on the RigPi forum site that could reach all RigPi users.  That would be a good place to deposit macro examples, listing which Yaesu rig they are primarily for.

Your command format is correct as you wrote it with the extra P1 zero.   I am told that the need to convert to hex will go away in the next version of RigPi.   I don’t find it a problem with many text to hex converters on the web

Steve KE4LC

Christophe de

Is there a possibility to make a macro to switch between FM mic front and FM mic rear in menu 074?

Christophe

Steve_KE4LC

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 02:42 PM, Christophe de wrote:
Is there a possibility to make a macro to switch between FM mic front and FM mic rear in menu 074?

Christophe
Christophe,  yes.  Specifically for FM, you would use the EX command:
EX0740;  for mic
EX0741;  for rear input

If you switch modes, SSB, AM, etc., you will have to use different macro commands.  I use this command to make it easier to switch between local/remote operation - especially valuable if you forget and leave the mic local!

Steve/ KE4LC

Christophe de

...especially valuable if you forget and leave the mic local!...

I now that feeling :) :)

Christophe

Christophe de

Edited

i try

mic :

*0w \0x45\0x58\0x30\0x37\0x34\0x30\0x3b

rear :

*0w \0x45\0x58\0x30\0x37\0x34\0x31\0x3b
Christophe

Steve_KE4LC

That is strange, yes..  Please try removing the \ at the end of each command line and see if it works.   It is not prescribed.  Disconnecting will often occur with a bad CAT command.  Should end with \0x3b.

Steve KE4LC

Steve_KE4LC

Oh, I see you did that- sorry.  Not sure why it is giving problems.   Steve KE4LC

Christophe de

Sorry Steve i edit my previous message works fine now.
I also make one for SSB now ;)

Christophe

Christophe de

Ok now i have made 2 buttons so you don't need to push continu the PTT button:

PTT ON ( mox on )  *0w \0x4d\0x58\0x31\0x3b
PTT OFF ( mox off )*0w \0x4d\0x58\0x30\0x3b

But sometimes when i touch the PTT OFF button the transceiver still stay on TX ??

Christophe

Steve_KE4LC

Hi Christophe - good to hear from you.

I just checked.  Your MX command syntax is correct for the FT991a.  Not sure why it is hanging up.

For the PTT task, did you also try the direct command !T/R  ?  That is a toggle button, so it takes one mouse click to activate PTT, click to deactivate.  On my FT450D, it works very well.  Does !T/R still cause the PTT lock-up, or does it smoothly turn on/off?  That would be a good test..

Macro programming is a very powerful tool to customize RSS.  Done correctly, you almost feel like you are physically sitting in front of the rig - not remote!  Being able to program macros greatly improves the operator experience, however, the need to do hexadecimal conversion is an impediment.  Luckily it’s required use will disappear, I am told, in the next version of RSS.  It’s another good update to look forward to!

One thing.  A follow up to your last question about the non-functional placeholder zero after many Yaesu macro commands.  I’ve been doing a lot of macros lately for the more complex FTDx101MD.  It uses the digit we call a placeholder for switching from MAIN to SUB channels.  We don’t have that on our radios, so I think Yaesu does it to keep macro command structure as consistent as possible across all of their product line.   That is a good thing, but admittedly, sometimes a pain for us!

73, Steve KE4LC

Christophe de

Hi Steve,

I think an ft-991 doesn't have a T / R button. I haven't found it yet.  :)
I search further. I am also looking forward to the new rigpi. Especially for connecting the icom ic-9700

73's

Christophe

Steve_KE4LC

!T/R is actually a Hamlib command, not a pass-through (*OW) command.  Its button equivalent would be your mic’s PTT button.  Its use activates a string of several rig-specific commands to do the PTT switching.  It does not need a semi-colon terminator at the end.  Try it!  😃. 74, Steve

Christophe de

Works verry well.  Now just 1 button for switching between RX/TX.  And when i push the new button , after talking i can use the original PTT button on top of the screen  to unlock PTT. ;)

Thanks Steve

73's
Christophe