Topics

IC-7100 radio hookup

Manuel Maseda

In looking at the help file I see how transmit and receive audio interfaces between the RSS and the radio but how does radio control interconnect?

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Manuel, thanks for posting!

You have brought up a good point!  I will add more detailed radio connection info in Help.

In summary, RSS accepts a radio control connection through one of the 4 USB ports.  If your radio only has a classic serial port you will need a serial-to-USB adaptor.  Plug the USB cable in, then go to SETTINGS>Radio>Basic and select the manufacturer, model, and port (/dev/ttyUSB0 if only one radio is plugged in)...or use Express Settings if you haven’t entered your call yet.  Click connect radio and you will be good.

73, Howard W6HN

Tom W5KUB <Tom@...>

Manuel, the cat control is done via the usb cable between rigpi and the radio

de w5kub
Host of live ham show called Amateur Radio Roundtable every Tues night at 8:00 PM central. All shows are recorded and can be watched at any time on on our website. Our audio is also simulcast on international shortwave on 5130 Khz.   We are also on every podcast carrier if you are looking for an audio version of our program.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 1:47 PM Manuel Maseda <mmaseda@...> wrote:
In looking at the help file I see how transmit and receive audio interfaces between the RSS and the radio but how does radio control interconnect?

WA8KHP -

Tom,

I need to have CAT Control to a PC to control my Apache-Labs 100D.  The USB port on the Raspberry Pi can not connect to a PC so I must use multiple cables going from USB to serial port on Pi to null modem cable to serial port back to USB cable on PC?  Are there any other options?  Thanks.

73

David - WA8KHP

On Apr 15, 2019, at 4:17 PM, Tom W5KUB <tom@...> wrote:
Manuel, the cat control is done via the usb cable between rigpi and the radio

de w5kub
Host of live ham show called Amateur Radio Roundtable every Tues night at 8:00 PM central. All shows are recorded and can be watched at any time on on our website. Our audio is also simulcast on international shortwave on 5130 Khz.   We are also on every podcast carrier if you are looking for an audio version of our program.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 1:47 PM Manuel Maseda <mmaseda@...> wrote:
In looking at the help file I see how transmit and receive audio interfaces between the RSS and the radio but how does radio control interconnect?

Tom W5KUB <Tom@...>

Howard needs to answer this.  Im not quite understanding

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 3:22 PM WA8KHP - <joepic9@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Tom, that should work well with a split screen.  I did that with Walter’s QSO with HK3C but had to use a web page for the split.

--Howard

[...]

Michael Young

Manuel,

RigPi testers have successfully connected the IC-7300 and IC-7610 just using the USB connection between the radio and the RigPi.  These ICOM radios (and many others) have built in sound cards that are available via USB.  The IC-7100 also has a built in sound card that is accessible via USB.  So IN THEORY it should work.  Here's a link to a great online reference on how to do this to many ICOM radios that have built in USB sound cards.    http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConnectingIcom72007600

And here's an excerp from that document:
  • to configure your IC-7100 to accept audio from the USB interface, decide whether your digital mode operation will employ Data mode or not. Then open the transceiver's SET MODE menu and

    • set the Connectors (DATA OFF MOD) or Connectors (DATA MOD) to USB, as shown on page 1-18 of the IC-7100 Advanced Instruction Manual

    • set the Connectors (USB MOD Level) to 50% (you can increase or decrease this later to adjust the audio drive level)

    • set the Connectors (ACC/USB AF Level) to 50% (you can increase or decrease this later to adjust the density of the waterfall display)

I have an Elad FDM-DUO that I have interfaced to the RigPi just using USB.   So for the moment you can try it with what we know now.  Many of us in the group will help.

73
Mike
WB8CXO

Manuel Maseda

Thank Mike.  I’ll try as soon as I get mine.  I ordered on the first day it went up for sale on the MFJ website so hopefully it will be here soon.

Michael Young

Ok, Good Luck!  They have been very popular!

73
Mike
WB8CXO