Topics

Emi hardening

Lon Lease

Hello All,
   Has anyone addressed the topic of hardening rigpi against noise on the radio?  I experience about 10db of noise above the floor with an antenna connected on 40 meters. When i shut rigpi down, the noise floor drops 10db. I can then hear an s9 signal. Any suggestions?  Is the pi4b any better for noise?  Thanks. Nl7le

radiorusso

HI I had the same problem and found it was not the PI but the wallwart  that powered it  Changed to a different power supply and the noise was gone
73
Russ   W4PGT

On 8/11/2020 3:15 PM, lml@... wrote:
Hello All,
   Has anyone addressed the topic of hardening rigpi against noise on the radio?  I experience about 10db of noise above the floor with an antenna connected on 40 meters. When i shut rigpi down, the noise floor drops 10db. I can then hear an s9 signal. Any suggestions?  Is the pi4b any better for noise?  Thanks. Nl7le

José Luiz Ures

Replace the rigpi power supply.

Enviado do meu iPad

Em 11 de ago de 2020, à(s) 16:15, lml@... escreveu:

Hello All,
   Has anyone addressed the topic of hardening rigpi against noise on the radio?  I experience about 10db of noise above the floor with an antenna connected on 40 meters. When i shut rigpi down, the noise floor drops 10db. I can then hear an s9 signal. Any suggestions?  Is the pi4b any better for noise?  Thanks. Nl7le

Bruce Perens K6BP

If you want to do a better case, this is the best way of shielding the Pi PCB while still allowing daughter boards to be plugged in.
There are holes for all of the connections, and a hole for WiFi and LEDs, the rest is metal covering. I would put this and the daughter boards in another metal case. Use Cat6 for all ethernet in the home (because it's shielded pairs within a bundle shield) and use chokes on every wire.

Interference reduction is a never-ending story. I also have bought about 20 Isobar 8, and 5 or 6 Isobar 2, so all of the outlets in the house are filtered. There are clip-on chokes all over. All of the ethernet switches are metal cased. I bought a box of Corcom filters to install in the overhead light boxes.

--
Bruce Perens - CEO at stealth startup. I'll tell you what it is eventually :-)

Lon Lease

Thanks everyone. I will start by replacing the power supply. I will also try a harden3d box. Lml

On Aug 11, 2020 2:50 PM, "Bruce Perens K6BP via groups.io" <bruce@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve_KE4LC

The plug-in “wall wort” supplies for ANY of the Raspberry Pi’s are of horrible quality noise-wise.  I typically replace them with higher quality 5VDC supplies with metal cases that offer better chassis earth bonding/grounding.   Also - if you have a laptop PC nearby, their plug in supplies can also be a major noise source.   I am a huge believer in investing in larger ferrite rings that are actually capable of soaking  up HF-range noise, not just UHF (the little cylinder clip-one).  I typically put them as close as possible to my rig connections.   The rings are 40.5mm / 1.59” of, 23.5mm/0.94” ID.  The larger size also allows 5-6 cable winds.   This approach really helps to reduce the noise floor for our receiving efforts!

73,  Steve KE4LC