Topics

Does Rigpi require port forwarding

gregprit2000@...

I use Verizon Wireless internet at my house because of where I live and they don't allow port forwarding or a static IP address will the rig power work?

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Greg,

If you want to use RigPi from a remote location, port forwarding is required.  RigPi can be used on your LAN without port forwarding.

One solution to consider is setting up RigPi at a friend's QTH where port forwarding is possible.

Port forward is required for accessing:

  • RigPi for all its control/logging/spot resources remotely
  • The Mumble server for VoIP (although you can use a remote Mumble server on one of many sites instead of the one built into RigPi)
  • Accessing the VNC viewer to use the RSS Desktop (including digital mode programs such as Fldigi)
A static IP can be obtained by using a service such as dyndns.org.

73, Howard W6HN

gregprit2000@...

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

Greg Pritchett

WE5D

On Wed, May 8, 2019, 11:48 Howard Nurse <hlnurse@...> wrote:
Hi Greg,

If you want to use RigPi from a remote location, port forwarding is required.  RigPi can be used on your LAN without port forwarding.

One solution to consider is setting up RigPi at a friend's QTH where port forwarding is possible.

Port forward is required for accessing:

  • RigPi for all its control/logging/spot resources remotely
  • The Mumble server for VoIP (although you can use a remote Mumble server on one of many sites instead of the one built into RigPi)
  • Accessing the VNC viewer to use the RSS Desktop (including digital mode programs such as Fldigi)
A static IP can be obtained by using a service such as dyndns.org.

There are ways to set a up a VNC connection without port forwarding, which would give you access to the RSS Desktop (and RigPi) through your Verizon connection.  That plus a remote Mumble server should get you going.  It will take further research to figure it all out...start by googling ‘VNC without port forwarding.’

—Howard

Kurt Lautenschlager

You may also see if your router has a DMZ, this will allow you to add the IP of the RigPi.  Sort of does the same thing as port forward by allow 1 device access to all ports.

I use this currently setting on my RemoteRig setup with no problems.

Kurt Lautenschlager
W1WWA