Topics

Connecting Xiegu G90 to RigPi

Graham Postlethwaite

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this has been a topic before, but I am setting up my new G90 in my shed (easier access for antennas) and will operate over over my LAN (which is operates over my 240 volt mains circuits).
The CAT connector on the rear of the G90 is a mini Dim - be grateful for any pointers the group can make.

Rob KI4MCW <ki4mcw@...>

In that setup, the audio and CAT connections would run from the radio to the RigPi. Then you would remote into the RigPi over your powerline network to operate the radio.

In terms of cabling, of course every radio is different. For the G90, the ACC interface on the rear of the radio can provide audio in and out, and a PTT line. If you use the CE-19 interface, these audio and PTT connections are broken out for easier connecting.

For rig control (such as to change frequency, filters, mode, etc.), you'll need a separate connection. My G90 came with a USB programming cable - plug that cable into the bottom jack on the left side of the radio (on the control head, below the headphone jack). This last bit was not clear to me, so I had to fumble quite a bit to figure it out the first time.

I hope this helps!

Rob KI4MCW

Graham Postlethwaite

Many thanks Rob for the clarification regarding rig control audio etc, I am partway there using the USB programming cable and will now complete it with the CE-19 interface - just to complete the picture which "radio" did you use - I have seen various suggestions, IC-756PRO for example.

Rob KI4MCW <ki4mcw@...>

I'm away from home this week, but I believe I told the RigPi that my radio is an Icom 7000. I recall trying a couple of different models, and had similar results.

I should probably mention... my G90 likes to put RF on every wire within 100 feet. I ended up putting ferrites on EVERYTHING and backing down to 10 watts (especially in soundcard modes) to keep it from getting stuck in transmit. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Cheers!

Rob KI4MCW