Topics

Audio

hazzle

Hi all
I have finally got my Yaesu FTDX 5000 connected, I have the Yaesu SCU 17 between the Rigpi and radio and the cat control side works fine.
We have been unable to get any sound tx or rx. I wonder if anyone can help and any advice appreciated.
73's Dave G4WBB

Steve_KE4LC

Hi Dave - great about CAT - that’s 50% of the battle won! Question:  Did you order the audio card with your RigPi?

If you DO have the Optional audio card, you can quickly get to receive audio by connecting a 3.5mm connector (both ends) jumper cable between the speaker output of your rig (rear of rig) and the RX input of your RigPi.  You will need the audio cable because your rig, like mine, does not have a USB connection.   So, we have to take the rig’s analog audio output and take it directly to the RigPi via the audio cable.  Your rig also has a second analog audio output port (think it’s AF out?).  I would start at the speaker output and then try the AF port if it provides better quality.  After you have made the connection, you will have to set up the audio input in Mumble, the audio program RigPi uses.  There is a lot of setup info for Mumble and support program Alsamixer in the online RigPi help literature.   I can help if you run into problems.

Transmit audio is a bit trickier.   First of all, another question... How are you planning to use the RigPi?  voice - SSB, all digital (FT8, etc) or a mix?

Your answer will help folks on this forum craft an approach for transmit audio.  Quality voice output requires signal processing - compression, gain, etc.  Connecting to the Yaesu rig’s rear panel data (packet)  port unfortunately bypasses these functions.  Data is just 1’s/0’s - not much processing needed.   For digital alone, the recommended data cable (RigPi Audio RJ45 socket to rig data/packet port) sold by MFJ works fine.  In contrast, the data cable sold by MFJ which goes from the RiGPi RJ45 does not work well for voice audio.  For SSB, we need to go into a mic port for audio processing.  Your rig has a rear mic patch jack which should allow direct connection of an 3.5mm termination audio cable from RigPi TX OUT to the rig‘s.   Other hams create a custom cable to plug into the front mic connector.

Once we know what you want to do with the rig, we can work with others to determine the best cable path forward.

73,  Steve KE4LC

hazzle

Hi Steve
Thanks for the reply, I have got the Yaesu SCU 17 connected between the radio and Rigpi and the audio board is in the installed.
I have also purchased the Rigpi V2 and have ordered a Raspberry Pi 4 2gb but this hasn't arrived yet.
I will only use audio and ssb or fm because I don't have any use of my hands. I use a head mouse at present and I can't use data modes because of how long it takes to input data.
I decided on the SCU 17 so that I l could the amount cables down.
I have an Icom IC 7100 connected and this works fine remotely.
My carer is pulling hair out trying to figure it out but he's also wants to study for his license now he has seen the things you can do.
I hope that the reply gives people an idea what I want to achieve.
The radios have sat unused for 3 years.
73's Dave G4WBB

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, 02:22 Steve_KE4LC, <sfwright101@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan Heather

Steve,

You have always provided such a great service to fellow hams with a depth and completeness unmatched by others (including me).  Bravo!  Well done!

I will TRY to emulate...

Dan N1DH

P.S. Good luck Dave!  Keep striving, the satisfaction, like the RigPi V2, will be awesome!

On 10/20/2020 9:22 PM, Steve_KE4LC wrote:

[...]

Hi Dan, just trying to pass help forward.  I’m glad you find my notes useful.  My Dad (AA2F) and I climbed quite a hill to get him back on the air from his Madison, WI antenna-challenged senior home.  We used several hardware/software solutions before encountering Howard’s wonderful, super-active RigPi project.   I’m all for reducing wheel-reinvention, and helping hams in my Dad’s situation stay active and on-the-air!   After all, one day we’ll be in a similar situation.  73, Steve KE4LC