Need Help with TS-2000 Conneciton -- Does a Real Set of Instructions Exist? #ts2000

Doug

I see that a few people have got their Kenwood TS-2000 working, at least partially, but I've read thru dozens of threads, and can't find a comprehensive set of simple instructions for getting on the air.
For example, I can see the RigPi program in a browser on a nearby computer, and can see the Tuner and other functions seem to do something, so I know I'm on the right track. However, I have no audio, and the snippets of useful information are never enough to actually get the job done. What wires go where? How does PTT work? I have the recommended MFJ 13-pin DIN cable, but apparently that interacts with PTT?? How to setup a VPN before connecting this to the internet? I see all kinds of partial answers, but how about a concrete example?
I feel like I've put in quite a bit of time, but the brass ring is always just out of reach.
Please help with specific examples, not vague ideas. Thanks.
73, Doug

Dave Jordan <wa3gin@...>

Ditto!

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 7:34 PM Doug <WD0UG@...> wrote:
[...]

I've got to add this: Howard Nurse has created a truly Awesome and Useful product for us, but he can't possibly be expected to have one of each possible rigs on the planet in order to test the configurations. My hope is that some individuals who have slogged thru the process will step up and post a 1-page configuration guide that we can all use. I have multiple rigs, and if I get any of them working, that's the first thing I would do.
Thanks in advance.
73, Doug

Kevin Utzy

All,

First I am trying to get WSJT-X to work but whatever, issues are the same.

Glad I am not the only one having an issue.  I have used a TS-2000 and FT-817 with a SignaLink successfully for many years. The way the SignaLink works is that it too plugs into the 13 pin connector.  It detects the audio signal out and triggers the PTT through PTT on Pin 13.

I currently have a Hampi working as well with the TS-2000.  It is using the Signalink because it is just a pi 4.

I have the RigPi working fine with the FT-817.  I can not get it to work with TS-2000.  It engages the PPT on the radio but no audio is being transmitted.

Given my long history with some of this stuff (pre WXJT-X days) I have a feeling, some more digging to do, is that as it stands if you use "CAT" to engage the PTT, that radio is looking at the Mic input, where as if you engage PTT 13 pin din it looks to that ports input.

Just a theory.  Need to dig some more for a solution..

--
73,
Kevin

John King <k5pgw@...>

Dave, Doug and all other Kenwood TS 2000 owners who want to transmit PSK 31 and other digial modes with a TS 2000 please include me, K5PGW in the loop regarding using the Rig Pi with TS 2000. I have trying to get my Rig Pi performing with my TS 2000. I can receive PSK 31, but not transmit.  Please share what you learn. I may be too dumb to follow.

Thanks and 73,
John, K5PGW

On Monday, April 5, 2021, 6:44:53 PM CDT, Kevin Utzy <krutzy62@...> wrote:

[...]

Perry Ogletree

You are correct. The TS-2000 can not be CAT  commanded into PTT for audio on the ACC2 connector. You have to have a hardware generated PTT on pin 13 as you mentioned.

Perry K4PWO

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

[...]

Howard Nurse, W6HN

The TS-2000 audio input has been the subject of many messages here on the forum.

I don't have a TS-2000, but have done some searching.  My reading of the manual is that the correct pin for TS-2000 PTT is not pin 13, but pin 9.  Pin 13 is usually used for a foot switch and the mic remains active.  Pin 9 mutes the mic input.  I don't know which pin the MFJ cable uses.

RigPi sends CAT PTT unless you disable it in SETTINGS>Advanced Radio.  If CAT PTT blocks audio through the ACC2 connector, it must be disabled.

I hope someone who has a TS-2000 can provide us with a step-by-step guide for using it with RigPi.

--Howard

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 04:44 PM, Kevin Utzy wrote:
[...]

Yes that would be really nice.  Sorry I kind of got my pins mixed up.  The radio will only use the pin 11 input sound if pin 9 is used for PPT.  That is what I meant to say.  A blurb from another forum confirms this:

"page 95 of the manual shows all the pins. 3 is Main audio out (as opposed to sub), 4 is ground. Pin 11 is mic in, but notice that you must first ground pin 9 to make pin 11 work as an input."

--

73, Kevin
KX4KU

Kevin Utzy

Howard or anyone for that matter.

One last question (hopefully).  In the Version 2 manual under Other Programs->WSJT-X, on page 129 it states:

If your radio requires PTT control on an ACC connector to switch audio routing, use the H/W PTT Hamlib GPIO option in Advanced Radio settings.

But it fails to state what setting for PTT to use in WSJT-X.  Should it still be CAT or VOX?  It doesn't state what is triggers GPIO option.

--
73,
Kevin

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Kevin,

If RigPi is in control of your radio and you are using Net Rigctl in WSJT-X to talk to the radio, use the CAT PTT selection in WSJT-X.  This will toggle the GPIO PTT in RigPi.

Having RigPi control your radio has the added advantage that contacts logged in WSJT-X can be automatically copied to the RigPi log.

—Howard

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 07:49 PM, Kevin Utzy wrote:
Howard or anyone for that matter.

One last question (hopefully).  In the Version 2 manual under Other Programs->WSJT-X, on page 129 it states:

If your radio requires PTT control on an ACC connector to switch audio routing, use the H/W PTT Hamlib GPIO option in Advanced Radio settings.

But it fails to state what setting for PTT to use in WSJT-X.  Should it still be CAT or VOX?  It doesn't state what is triggers GPIO option.

--
73,
Kevin
KX4KU

Kevin Utzy

Howard,

That makes perfect sense.  Cool.

Yes I have been using Net Rigctl in the wsjt-x setup.

Sorry, I would have done more trial and error except since it is a remote station (20 minutes away), it is harder to play with remotely.  I am going up soon to give this a try!

73,
Kevin
KX4KU

[...]

rssternal@...

I have one, or two, because I havent brought yet and dont see what all the software does so heres my concern, first, with the rigpi can I turn my rig on and off, also can I turn my amp on with the software or do I need a remote type switch.

Richard

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 12:04:18 PM EDT, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard,

I know you can turn the radio on and off with a macro.  You would issue the PS0; command to turn it off, the PS1; command to turn it on.  I use it now on a HamPi.

As for the amp I don’t know.  I wish I had one to do know!

73, Kevin KX4KU

[...]

Thank you.  That works!

--
73,
Kevin

Doug

WRT 'If your radio requires PTT control on an ACC connector to switch audio routing, use the H/W PTT Hamlib GPIO option in Advanced Radio settings.' I tried that and it does not work for me.
73, WD0UG

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Doug, please tell us a bit more.  What isn't working?  PTT or audio switching?  Are you using an MFJ RJ-45 cable to connect to your ACC2 connector on the radio?  Can you confirm what pin is connected to the PTT line by using an ohmmeter?

--Howard