Yaesu FTdx-5000 connections #yaesu #audio #ftdx5000

Chuck Bigbie

Hi I have read several posts on the hook up/set up for the Yaesu FTdx-5000 and I am a little confused.

I have the SCU-17 to hook up to the radio and PC. It has an RS232 Cable and a Data cable and the USB cable for the PC connection. Is this all I need to get audio in and out of the radio to the PC? OR do I have to connect the Audio in and out of the SCU17 to the FTdx-5000 and if so where? I also have a cable with a microphone 8 pin connector that goes into the mic on the front of the radio and the other end goes into the Audio connector (LAN connector for the MFJ-1204) does this connector get the audio in and out?

Thank You

Chuck N5ANY

Dan Heather

Hi Chuck,

Are you running the Mumble client on the PC?  Let me know if you have any questions about my answer.  I run a Yaesu FT-991 and know very little about the FTdx-5000.

73

Dan N1DH

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi I have read several posts on the hook up/set up for the Yaesu FTdx-5000 and I am a little confused.

I have the SCU-17 to hook up to the radio and PC. It has an RS232 Cable and a Data cable and the USB cable for the PC connection. Is this all I need to get audio in and out of the radio to the PC? OR do I have to connect the Audio in and out of the SCU17 to the FTdx-5000 and if so where? I also have a cable with a microphone 8 pin connector that goes into the mic on the front of the radio and the other end goes into the Audio connector (LAN connector for the MFJ-1204) does this connector get the audio in and out?

Thank You

Chuck N5ANY

Chuck Bigbie

Hi Dan,

I have not run anything yet, I am attempting to hook up the Rig Pi to the PC with the SCU-17. I have the rs232 cable to the radio and a usb cable from the scu17 to the pc. I have other cables I can hook up. I intend to run Mumble when I get it hooked up. How does audio get from the SCU17 to the PC with the usb cable? Does the CAT RS232 have audio in and out?

Chuck N5ANY 73

Dan Heather

Chuck,

As I confessed, my knowledge of your rig is close to zero. I don’t know if your rig has a built-in codec or not (I suspect not). If it does not, you'll need to use an external sound card, e.g., SignaLink for audio.  In any event you'll need to use the Mumble client on the RigPi for audio.

Here is a link that might be helpful.  It pertains to WSJTX but gives good SignaLink setup info for the 5000.

You might also look at this RigPi forum  and search for “FTdx-5000”.

Good luck Chuck!

P.S. anyone else on this forum have RigPi/FTdx-5000 experience?  If so, jump in and give Chuck a helping hand…

Referenced link:  Yaesu 5000 signalink help | QRZ Forums

Dan N1DH

Sent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Chuck Bigbie

Hi Dan

The Yaesu FTdx5000 does not have a sound card the SCU17 is supposed to do it. I need help with hooking it up to the Radio and or what to hook up to the RigPi itself from the radio. I have the manuals for all and it is not very straight forward.

Chuck

hazzle

Hi Chuck
I have the FTDX 5000 and only have received audio at the moment.
I have a cable with 3.5mm plugs fitted, 1 plug is in the extension speaker on the back of the FTDX 5000 and the other end plugged into the audio in/out socket on rear panel of the SCU 17.
Serial cable connection between SCU 17 and rear of FTDX 5000 for cat control.
A USB cable connects the SCU 17 to my MFJ 1234, transmitted audio is more difficult.
There is a post describing the connection to a Yaesu 450, use a microphone plug instead of the rj45 plug.
I am disabled and cannot use my hands and still waiting for a fellow ham to make the lead for me.
Good luck and please post a reply if manage to get it sorted.
Best 73's Dave G4WBB

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021, 15:39 Chuck Bigbie, <crbigbie@...> wrote:
Hi Dan

The Yaesu FTdx5000 does not have a sound card the SCU17 is supposed to do it. I need help with hooking it up to the Radio and or what to hook up to the RigPi itself from the radio. I have the manuals for all and it is not very straight forward.

Chuck

Chuck Bigbie

The manual for the Yaesu SCU-17 states:
The SCU-17 is equipped with a US B audio System device, so the TX and RX audio system signals are accessible to the SCU-17 through the USB Cable. Therefore, the supplied USB cable is the only connection needed between the SCU-17 ad the PC.
Well that is great where does the audio go into the SCU-17...Well
The manual goes on:
For RF isolation, the SCU-17 is designed with photo relays for the PTT/FSK terminals. AF transformers are use in the AUDIO IN/OUT lines to provide excellent ground isolation.

So where does the Audio in/out go? do I connect to the number 10 on the FTdx-5000

So little documentation!
There is a hint:

Do I do this on the FTdx-5000 to get the audio in and out?

Chuck N5ANY

Glenn VE9GJ

Hi Chuck

I am not familiar with the SCU-17 but it looks to me like it is connected to your FTdx5000 like the first diagram below and the usb cable would plug into the rigpi instead of the laptop.  Did you try it this way?  I suspect RigPi would then see the SCU-21 as a com port for rig control and a USB Codec for the the audio.  You would not be using the Audio In-Out jack on the SCU-21 at all in your setup.

73

Glenn VE9GJ

On 2021-03-23 16:38, Chuck Bigbie wrote:

The manual for the Yaesu SCU-17 states:
The SCU-17 is equipped with a US B audio System device, so the TX and RX audio system signals are accessible to the SCU-17 through the USB Cable. Therefore, the supplied USB cable is the only connection needed between the SCU-17 ad the PC.
Well that is great where does the audio go into the SCU-17...Well
The manual goes on:
For RF isolation, the SCU-17 is designed with photo relays for the PTT/FSK terminals. AF transformers are use in the AUDIO IN/OUT lines to provide excellent ground isolation.

So where does the Audio in/out go? do I connect to the number 10 on the FTdx-5000

So little documentation!
There is a hint:

Do I do this on the FTdx-5000 to get the audio in and out?

Chuck N5ANY

Chuck Bigbie

Hi Glenn and others, I had to obtain the optional scu-21 cable which I now have and will work on this today.

Chuck N5ANY