Topics

USB.PY wrong assignment #rigpi #cat

Kevin Utzy

I acquired a RigPi with RPI V3+ B running RSS V2.  I have a HamPi box also so I know a little.

I run the USB.py program it works fine.  After reboot however the entry doesn't work with RSS.  When I look at the /dev directory the entry for radio1 looks like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar  6 22:24 radio1 -> gpiochip2

I do not think this is correct.  If I recollect from symbolic assignments and looking at program USB.py the rule looks like this:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{serial}=="A504CB57", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", SYMLINK+="radio1"

Now I have the same radio on my Hampi and my manual entry for this is:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", ATTRS{serial}=="A504CB57", SYMLINK+="ttyUSB_ft817"

So is it suppose to be pointing to a gpiochip or usb port.

73, Kevin, KX4KU

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Kevin,

You are correct, radio1 should not be pointing to a gpio device.  The USB.py program has been obsoleted by RigPi 2 which provides a must better system for identifying USB connections.  In the R Port list in Radio Settings you will see the long name for attached USB devices.  Simply select that name and all will be well.

--Howard

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 07:46 PM, Kevin Utzy wrote:

I acquired a RigPi with RPI V3+ B running RSS V2.  I have a HamPi box also so I know a little.

I run the USB.py program it works fine.  After reboot however the entry doesn't work with RSS.  When I look at the /dev directory the entry for radio1 looks like this:

I do not think this is correct.  If I recollect from symbolic assignments and looking at program USB.py the rule looks like this:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{serial}=="A504CB57", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", SYMLINK+="radio1"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", ATTRS{serial}=="A504CB57", SYMLINK+="ttyUSB_ft817"

73, Kevin, KX4KU

Kevin Utzy

Howard,

Thanks – yes the “/dev/serial/by-id” path seems to work well.  I will remove the USB.py.

Kevin
KX4KU

From: RigPi@groups.io <RigPi@groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Nurse, W6HN
Sent: Sunday, March 7, 2021 13:19
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RigPi] USB.PY wrong assignment #rigpi #cat

Hi Kevin,

You are correct, radio1 should not be pointing to a gpio device.  The USB.py program has been obsoleted by RigPi 2 which provides a must better system for identifying USB connections.  In the R Port list in Radio Settings you will see the long name for attached USB devices.  Simply select that name and all will be well.

--Howard

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 07:46 PM, Kevin Utzy wrote:

73, Kevin, KX4KU