CW via RigPIHub, how??

Henk PA0C

Phone and radio control are working OK from the remote side. (I am testing all in my own LAN, so no issues with port forwarding, etc.)

I did install a Keyer board at the radio side and want to send CW via RiGPiHub.

RigPiHub "sees" the correct IP address of the PI on the radio side. Control port 30001 is green as well.
I just use the Key button of RigPiHub.

At the radio side the settings are
Advanced Radio:
Keyer : RigPiKeyer
Kport ; /dev/ttyS0  (in accordance with the RXD/TXD of the keyer board)

Keyer:
Normal,  but other settings make no difference. Using 30040 and the radio-PI IP address in those cases

Pressing "Test keyer" at the radio side does not do anything as well, no LEDs are lit. (so this should be fixed first I think).

Anyone who can point me in the right direction?
I am a bit lost now...

73 Henk

PS pin 19 and 21 are properly connected to J207 on the keyerboard

Michael Bridak

This is a shot in the dark but worth a try.
I'd load up raspian-coinfig and choose option that says something about Interfacing.
Under that there is an option to turn on and off kernel logging and login access to the serial port (ttys0).
Once that is disabled it should ask you if you want the serial port hardware enabled. choose yes and retest.

But I could be wrong.

Hi Henk,

You are correct, if the CW Keyer is not working something needs to be fixed at the RigPi/radio end.  The radio must be under control of RigPi for the Keyer to work.  If you use the Tuner PTT button to put the radio into transmit, does the red PTT light turn on?  When you power up RigPi do you hear the "R" character sent as RigPi is booting?

Once the Keyer is working, the correct setting in SETTINGS->Keyer for remote CW is the Radio Keyer selection in Keyer Fn.  If you ordered the board separately, you may need to add two jumpers to the board for Remote CW to work.  Please see RigPi Help for more ddetails.  (Edit: I see you mentioned that the jumpers are installed.)

--Howard

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:37 AM, Henk PA0C wrote:
[...]

Hi Michael, Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions.

In the meantime I did a reinstall of the PI, so got rid of all unwanted settings (if any)
The RED led is now working OK, it follows the PTT. (this is the easy part, it just follows the PI GPIO)

However the green LED is lit continously, no matter what setting I try, it will not go out.

I did some measurements with my scoop.
Signals are present at TXD, however the level changes between 3.3. and 2.8 V only.
So not enough for proper data transfer.
When I lift the RXD pin of the Winkeyer IC (so no "load" anymore), the level is OK between 3.3 and 0 Volt.

The green LED goes out when I lift the key input pin of the Winkeyer IC.

So it looks like the Winkeyer IC is causing the issues, however why connecting inputs of that IC could cause issues is not clear to me.

However without proper TXD/RXD datatransfer it will never work OK.

Henk

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Henk,

  1. When you power up RigPi, does the Keyer send an “R” character?
  2. Did the board come with the remote CW jumpers installed, or did you add them?  Please take a photo and send it along.
  3. What is the voltage at the key input pin when it is connected to the board?
  4. If the Keyer chip is faulty, MFJ will replace the board under warranty.

—Howard