Topics

new remote set up

dave

Hello forgive my asking these questions but i am trying to satisfy myself that i will not be wasting 3 or 4 hundred pounds on something i will never get to work. I want to set up a remote station at at a site some 25 miles distant where i can run a a full wave long wire aerials for 160  /80 /40 mtrs, both ends have very good broadband connections and routers  the radio  will be a yeasu 450(not the D) ,i have PC of reasonable spec and i propse to purchase an MFJ1234 . As i understand i will have the PC with router and  CAT control at my end and the 450 with  the MFJ 1234 and router at the remote end with an internet link in between i have i got this right or am i floundering around with the wrong ideas.

Don Melcher

All the control software in in the 1234. You just access it from a PC and it “serves” up the various windows and menus that you need.

While it can be a challenge to get going, you also have to forward ports in the router at the host location so the 1234 can be connected to from the outside world.

If what I just wrote makes sense, then dive in, but at this point I’d wait for the 1234B using the RPi4.

If none of it makes any sense, then you’re in for a challenge and an education, but it would be good if you had knowledgeable assistance familiar with port forwarding for one and interfacing radios and computers as well.

Then, after you get it all working, be prepared for RFI from the TX causing issues. Good engineering practices and liberal application of ferrite beads  of the proper “mix” for HF on every cable is needed.

Good luck.
Don
W6CZ
DM07bk

Steve_KE4LC

Welcome to the RigPi forum.  As Don says, starting from not knowing basic PC/internet networking can be a challenge, I agree, but it’s certainly not insurmountable and many “newbies” have done it successfully (including myself).  It’s a good learning experience as well.  I read that you have the FT450.  I have the FT450D.  Sounds like you have defined the need well.    For me, I was highly motivated to make it work.  We use the RigPi to allow my elderly father 600 miles away (stuck in a senior home w/o antennas) access to my Ham station.  We are primarily CW DX operators, with occasional SSB use.   What modes would you use?  Port-forwarding and static LAN IP addresses are fairly straightforward to take on, as is the USB/serial cable interface required for rig commands.   The bigger challenges, such as defining and building macro key commands to give you a good “like I’m sitting in front of my rig” remote feeling are increasingly better supported by the very active RIgPi user community and better online instructions.  Lots of sharing.  If you want to take it on, I would be glad to help with the startup.  After trying several other remote approaches, RigPi has made a huge, positive difference for my dad, and I try to pass it forward to others (Prevent wheel reinvention) whenever I can.  If you do order, I echo Don’s recommendation- I would suggest getting the new Raspberry Pi4B-based system that is just coming out now - see RigPi website.  Together with the new 2.00 software, it works well.

73, Steve KE4LC