Topics

Which Raspberry Pi 4 B

Mark Schroeder, W7KHZ

Thanks Howard. I really dont want to get out the drill and start fabricating a new case, so I plan on just buying a new one when its available and has had a few months in the hands of others.
I am very pleased with how well my current device is running the remote radio and am hoping the “PTT” flaw in the remote control app is resolved. I am frequently having to double check that when I disconnect the radio that I have not left the radio keyed up as the disconnect routine still leaves the ability to PTT the radio, even when the app says its disconnected and I have all zeros on the display of the app. This is more of a problem when I use mu iPhone(s) than it is for any other computer I use.

-73’s Mark Schroeder, W7KHZ-🇺🇸

On Sep 18, 2020, at 3:36 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

The existing Audio and Keyer boards will work just fine with a Raspberry Pi 4B.  The problem is the connector locations on the new 4B board which require a modified case.

I've tested the 2GB up to 8GB Raspberry Pi 4B boards and haven't noticed much, if any, difference.  You can use htop from Terminal on the Raspberry Pi desktop to see how much memory is being used.  It is rare to see the 1GB RAM on the 3B+ exceeded causing the swap space to be used.

Note the 1GB 4B is no longer offered.  The 4B 2GB version runs about $35 from all the usual sources.

Correct, the Raspberry Pi 4B can't use the older O/S (Stretch), it requires Buster.  Buster will run on the 4B and 3B+.  RigPi 2 uses Buster.

--Howard

Don Melcher

I’m using it with a USB audio device so no physical difference from standard Pi 4.
Don
W6CZ
DM07bk

Howard Nurse, W6HN

The existing Audio and Keyer boards will work just fine with a Raspberry Pi 4B.  The problem is the connector locations on the new 4B board which require a modified case.

I've tested the 2GB up to 8GB Raspberry Pi 4B boards and haven't noticed much, if any, difference.  You can use htop from Terminal on the Raspberry Pi desktop to see how much memory is being used.  It is rare to see the 1GB RAM on the 3B+ exceeded causing the swap space to be used.

Note the 1GB 4B is no longer offered.  The 4B 2GB version runs about $35 from all the usual sources.

Correct, the Raspberry Pi 4B can't use the older O/S (Stretch), it requires Buster.  Buster will run on the 4B and 3B+.  RigPi 2 uses Buster.

--Howard

Dan Heather

Hi Mark,

The 9-17-20 image runs OK on my pi 3b plus.  One little quirk that I will explain in a later email.  Out walking at the moment and expect to be back about 2:30 EDT.

Dan N1DH

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:33 PM Mark Schroeder, W7KHZ <w7khz@...> wrote:
Don
have you worked out the physical compatibility issues with the 4 and the Pi 3 boards? For me, I have resigned to just by a new kit with boards that align with the 4, rather than trying to adapt them. Or did I misread a previous post about this from Howard?

-73’s Mark Schroeder, W7KHZ-🇺🇸

On Sep 18, 2020, at 7:26 AM, Don Melcher <don@...> wrote:

The current version of RigPi won’t run on a Pi4 if I’m not mistaken, but v2 will. I have an 8GB sitting here waiting. I’m hoping for less latency in the controls and better Mumble performance. I’ve played with it briefly using Flrig and Mumble and it seemed better, but it’s been too long and I haven’t been able to to an A/B comparison with properly configured systems.
Don
W6CZ
DM07bk

--
Dan Heather
Middleboro MA

Mark Schroeder, W7KHZ

[...]

Hi Peter,

My experience tells me that, “The more the RAM the better!”.  If some extra memory is not being used at the moment it probably will be needed sometime in the future.

And the difference in cost between 1, 4 and 8GB is minimal (IMHO).

73

Dan Heather, N1DH

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

which  Raspberry Pi 4 B  ram version  2GB 4 GB 8 GB for Rigpi Version 2 ?

73 Peter Dh4JQ

Peter Bruins

Edited

Hello

which  Raspberry Pi 4 B  ram version  2GB 4 GB 8 GB for Rigpi Version 2 ?

73 Peter DH4JQ / KG9KN