Feature suggestion

Michael Bridak

I've got a feature suggestion, I use a raspberry pi to control my 3d printer remotely, and it has a pi camera connected with a long ribbon cable to watch the printer.
It would be a very nice feature to have an optional live camera view of the rigs waterfall.

Steve_KE4LC

I humbly second the camera suggestion. It’s very comforting to see the actual real-time rig image for remote operators. This is especially true for hams transitioning from a lifetime of hands-on rig use to remote access (senior/retirement homes where antennas are impossible). If impractical to integrate the camera video within RSS, a tutorial for cam integration using another Raspberry Pi app would be great.

Thanks/73’s, Steve KE4LC

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Steve and Michael,

Just yesterday I received email from Georges, VA2GH, who has a Raspberry Pi camera attached to his radio with a printed arm...very clever.  I will ask Georges to share his approach here.

--Howard

georges.hayet@...

Edited

Hi All,

My pleasure to share my little ugrade. In fact, I'm not a python programmer, I'm just following receipt I found and adapted from internet to do what I wanted to. Any new suggestions based on this, please feel free to comment and share!

Also I desinged a 3D printed removable arm that use two of the original Yaesu FT-991A lower cover screws. You also need to adjust the focus of the pi camera at this so short distance. You do this by unscrwing the lens on the Pi Camera until you get a clear view. I have adjusted my focus and distance to get the entire viewing angle of the Pi camera to cover my entire FT-991A display. Finally I have a personal DNS so I can have the stream content from anywhere from an internet access.

I hope this could help!

73's
Georges, VA2GH

My original source is from internet :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqv1_-f2H984
https://github.com/almanzanoex/How-to-Stream-Video-and-Take-Picture-with-Raspberry-Pi

What I did :

UPDATE AND UPGRADE PI:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -y

CONFIGURATION SETTINGS FOR CAMERA: enable pi camera option
sudo raspi-config

INSTALL EVDEV:
sudo apt-get install python-dev
sudo apt-get install python-pip
sudo pip3 install evdev

Copy content of the attached zip (camera.zip) file to the Pi location : /home/pi/Documents/Camera

RUNNING SCRIPT WITH PYTHON3 INTERPRETOR:
Go to file location on the Pi :
cd /home/pi/Documents/Camera

Run script:
python3 camera.py

FIND IP ADDRESS of your Pi to stream video on your network :
ifconfig

LOCAL HOTSPOT WEB ADDRESS: address of my Pi on my network
https://192.168.50.91:8000

AUTO-RUN AT BOOT UP:
sudo crontab -e
@reboot python3 /home/pi/Documents/Camera/camera.py

Perry Ogletree

You can use most any cheap Web Cam to do the same thing on the RPi. If you have or can find an old Logitech C210, it works great.

I use one on a Octoprint RPi for my 3D printer.

Perry K4PWO

I've got a feature suggestion, I use a raspberry pi to control my 3d printer remotely, and it has a pi camera connected with a long ribbon cable to watch the printer.
It would be a very nice feature to have an optional live camera view of the rigs waterfall.

Kevin (NF7J)

Have you made your 3D print design available. That looks very cool!

Thanks,
Kevin