Topics

WSJT-X 2.2.0 decode performance on RigPi

tmeys@...

Has anyone else tried running the latest WSJT-X 2.2.0 on a RigPi (3B+)?

The upgrade was straight forward and everything worked, but I found right away on a crowded band that the new decode method that splits things up during the 15 second cycle results in many decodes happening very late into the next 15 second cycle (as late as 10 seconds, which makes Tx response virtually impossible for those received transmissions).  Tried with "Fast" and "Normal" decode and found that made no difference.

Ended up reverting back to 2.1.0, which works fine (even on a busy band).  I suspect WSJT-X 2.2.0 may be saving its results when doing multiple decodes to disk, and the microSD is not a really fast storage device.  Just a guess ... could be something else.

'73
AE0AU - Tony

georges.hayet@...

I had to say... I have the same feeling! I revert back to 2.1.2 and I can see right away it's faster...

Georges
VA2GH

tmeys@...

Thanks, Georges, for the reply.  Should have mentioned, I use a FT-991.  What type of radio did you observe your slow decode with?  By the way, a 2.2.1 version of WSJT-X has already been issued ... this addresses a FT-991 rig control problem (which I doubt is related to decode speed issue on RigPi).  For comparison, ran the new WSJT-X on a macOS laptop (at least 5 years old, but has a SSD storage device) and the 2.2.0 decode worked just fine on that (no lag at all of the decode into the next receive cycle).

AE0AU - Tony

georges.hayet@...

Hi Tony,
Running Rigpi on a FT-991A. And yes I saw in the release notes of 2.2.1 that it was fixing an issue for FT-991.

Georges - VA2GH

tmeys@...

Hey Georges -
Thanks for the response ... interesting we both have FT-991/A.  I think I would be very interested to hear if someone with a different radio sees the same, or if someone tries 2.2.1 with an FT-991/A and has different results.  I hope to get around to trying this myself, but know right now it will be awhile.

AE0AU - Tony
'73

Glenn VE9GJ

Hi
I can confirm the same performance problem with 2.2.1 with a TS-590SG, FT991A and FT-857D so I don't believe it has anything to do with the actual rig. I submitted a report to the wsjtx-dev list.

73
Glenn VE9GJ

On 2020-06-07 4:46 p.m., tmeys@comcast.net wrote:
Hey Georges -
Thanks for the response ... interesting we both have FT-991/A.  I think I would be very interested to hear if someone with a different radio sees the same, or if someone tries 2.2.1 with an FT-991/A and has different results.  I hope to get around to trying this myself, but know right now it will be awhile.
AE0AU - Tony
'73

georges.hayet@...

Hi Glenn,
Good to know we are not alone! And thanks for your communication with wsjtx-dev, let's wait and see!

73
Georges, VA2GH

tmeys@...

Thanks, Glenn -

I also just sent a short note to wsjtx-dev ... figure more reports might get more attention.

'73
AE0AU - Tony

tmeys@...

Update:  I got a response from wsjt-devel that they have "tweaked the Fast decode settings for the next release".  Will report back to this thread when that release happens on how it works with my set-up.

Allen

tmeys,
 I had tried an upgrade on my RigPi (MFJ1234) and when the memory was full it locked the system completely. I was helped to recover my RigPi and found out it did not actually do the update but screwed up and changed some of the settings. One was recording which I never set to record it was set to none. Now that it is running the decoding is not functioning at all. I will get a great signal receive strength and no decoding so I guess I will have to wait until this new release comes out. Even if I select decode I can't get it to change colors. Sometimes it flickers the funky blue color but that's it. This was all my fault and nothing with Howards equipment nor his code. My bad but learn from our own mistakes.
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO