Topics

Yaesu FT450 band change software request #mfj-1234 #yaesu #cat #commands #remote


Steve_KE4LC
 

Hello Howard,  I am using the RigPro successfully for remote station control of a Yaesu FT-450D.  Whenever RSS is used to change bands, the command line also arbitrarily changes bandwidth (FT450 signal width) to fit generic needs for various modes (CW, SSB, etc).  The arbitrary bandwidth change is not needed, in fact it is undesirable, because Yaesu wisely pre-stores width, and all DSP operations on the rig for each band/mode.  Often, the generic filter width is not the correct choice for the FT450D.  Looking at Hamlib’s C examples, I can see raw code samples where band change and width are combined.   Right now, changing bands makes the new band selection unusable unless I manually change width at the rig after my night-owl Dad, AA2F 600 miles away, changes bands.  If needed, I can create macros to adjust width and other parameters, but it would be nice to simplify the band change and drop the arbitrary filter width command.   I would guess that this would benefit other Yaesu users, and perhaps other makes as well, since most radios cache preferred DSP/filter settings by band.  Any help, other user comments would be very much appreciated.   

Many thanks for all you do to support remote operation. 

73’s,  Steve KE4LC


Steve_KE4LC
 

Sorry, meant to say RigPi, not RigPro -  spellcheckers can be maddening at times!  😀


Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Hi Steve,

The Hamlib Set Mode command (M) requires a mode and bandwidth.  RigPi sends a 0 for bandwidth which causes the default bandwidth for the radio’s back end to be used.  For a change to CW, RigPi sends M CW 0.   Setting frequency by itself does not send a bandwidth command.

Changing the way Hamlib works requires working with the Hamlib team to put forward suggestions.  You can find their issue list by googling ‘hamlib issues.’ The list is maintained on github.com.  You have to set up a Github account to submit issues.  Take a look and let me know if I can help.

—Howard


Steve_KE4LC
 

Thanks, Howard for your quick response - greatly appreciated!!   

Regarding your observation “setting frequency by itself doesn’t send a bandwidth change”, I am consistently observing different results.  On my Software installation/FT-450D, the bandwidth automatically changes to the default width for current active mode whenever the BAND (frequency) is changed via RSS command.   Not just during mode changes.  Totally repeatable via PC or iPhone control.  I would be glad to compile a video of this effect in action if it would help.

When I change bands manually at the rig, the bandwidth is not changed - the bandwidth default reset occurs exclusively during RSS band changes.   

Given these observations, is this still an issue for our Hamlib colleagues to attack?  Or is it within RSS territory?   I would be glad to work with them if it’s purely Hamlibs, but might ask for your support/leverage if needed! 😀

Thanks!
Steve Wright, KE4LC

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 2:16 PM Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:
Hi Steve,

The Hamlib Set Mode command (M) requires a mode and bandwidth.  RigPi sends a 0 for bandwidth which causes the default bandwidth for the radio’s back end to be used.  For a change to CW, RigPi sends M CW 0.   Setting frequency by itself does not send a bandwidth command.

Changing the way Hamlib works requires working with the Hamlib team to put forward suggestions.  You can find their issue list by googling ‘hamlib issues.’ The list is maintained on github.com.  You have to set up a Github account to submit issues.  Take a look and let me know if I can help.

—Howard


Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Hi Steve,

You are correct, when RigPi changes bands it also updates the mode.  The mode command sends the bandwidth parameter (0).  Here is an experiment you can try:

  1. Using a text editor (such as nano), open /var/www/html/index.php
  2. Scroll down to function getBandMemory(nBand)
  3. Inside the second $.post you will see another post that sets mode  ("ModeOut")
  4. Comment that line with //, save the file, then restart the radio.

This change prevents mode from being sent by RigPi when the band is changed.  If this does what you want we can consider having a user setting to prevent the mode change.

--Howard


Steve_KE4LC
 

Howard, your solution to comment out the code line worked perfectly! No more unwanted bandwidth changes upon switching bands. This will definitely improve remote operations for my dad - and give me more sleep (not having to get up and manually do resets as he chases down rare DX). Your support level is simply stellar - pace yourself!

Thanks, Steve Wright
KE4LC


Ian McPhedran
 

Hi Steve, I was very interested in your question.
I am using an FT810 and have temporarily stopped trying to get transmission to work and hope that the version 2 software will work.
FT810 users trying this operation seem to be as scarce as hen’s teeth or are all having no trouble at all but don’t report that.
I have the mfj appropriate cable.
You seem able to access the C software and put in that fix Howard suggested, how is that access achieved please?
Ian GM3GTQ


On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Steve_KE4LC <sfwright101@...> wrote:
Howard, your solution to comment out the code line worked perfectly!  No more unwanted bandwidth changes upon switching bands.  This will definitely improve remote operations for my dad - and give me more sleep (not having to get up and manually do resets as he chases down rare DX).  Your support level is simply stellar - pace yourself!

Thanks, Steve Wright
KE4LC




Ian McPhedran
 


No wonder I don’t get replies , my radio is an FT 817nd not an 810 as I mistakenly called it. Sorry about that
Ian


On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 07:57, Ian McPhedran via groups.io <imcphedran=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Steve, I was very interested in your question.
I am using an FT810 and have temporarily stopped trying to get transmission to work and hope that the version 2 software will work.
FT810 users trying this operation seem to be as scarce as hen’s teeth or are all having no trouble at all but don’t report that.
I have the mfj appropriate cable.
You seem able to access the C software and put in that fix Howard suggested, how is that access achieved please?
Ian GM3GTQ


On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Steve_KE4LC <sfwright101@...> wrote:
Howard, your solution to comment out the code line worked perfectly!  No more unwanted bandwidth changes upon switching bands.  This will definitely improve remote operations for my dad - and give me more sleep (not having to get up and manually do resets as he chases down rare DX).  Your support level is simply stellar - pace yourself!

Thanks, Steve Wright
KE4LC