Topics

Rigpi has no internet connection #rss

Garry Chessen

For some unknown reason my Rigpi has lost connection to internet. VNC says "VNC Server-Service Mode. I have the Rigpi connected thru an ethernet cable to a 4 port sw to the extender (Linksys RE6800). My desktop is connected to it also and is working fine. I noticed the green light on ethernet jack on Rigpi does not light nor does the light on the sw port. I have switched cables with my desktop with same results. I have tried using wifi and still cannot connect to internet. Why am I not able to access internet. Thanks for any help.  Garry  WB6IPQ

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Garry,

Your tests so far are good.  The green light on RigPi’s Ethernet connector should flash no matter what.  Can you temporarily plug RigPi directly into your main router to see if it tries to connect?

—Howard

Garry Chessen

Thanks Howard for getting back to me. I will try that tonight.  I did put the original SD card in to see if that helped.  Still the same. I would have thought if Ethernet was workin g I could access the setup of the extender> That did not work.  Hope direct connect will.

Garry - Sent from my iPad

On May 2, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

Hi Garry,

Your tests so far are good.  The green light on RigPi’s Ethernet connector should flash no matter what.  Can you temporarily plug RigPi directly into your main router to see if it tries to connect?

—Howard

Garry Chessen

Howard, I connected direct to router. No connection still. Here is pic of lights.

On May 2, 2020, at 5:21 PM, Garry Chessen via groups.io <Garrychessen@...> wrote:

Thanks Howard for getting back to me. I will try that tonight.  I did put the original SD card in to see if that helped.  Still the same. I would have thought if Ethernet was workin g I could access the setup of the extender> That did not work.  Hope direct connect will.

Garry - Sent from my iPad

On May 2, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

Hi Garry,

Your tests so far are good.  The green light on RigPi’s Ethernet connector should flash no matter what.  Can you temporarily plug RigPi directly into your main router to see if it tries to connect?

—Howard

Bruce N7XGR

Garry,  Try this, get into your router config main screen and depending on the router
find the page that has all connections both wired and WIFI.
In mu Asus router my connection to the unit reads rigpi with the IP and MAC addresses.
It has an RJ45 icon for a wired connection.  I config VNC from the PC using the IP in the router.
Have you tried a known good cable?

Bruce  N7XGR

On May 2, 2020, at 5:21 PM, Garry Chessen via groups.io <Garrychessen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks Howard for getting back to me. I will try that tonight.  I did put the original SD card in to see if that helped.  Still the same. I would have thought if Ethernet was workin g I could access the setup of the extender> That did not work.  Hope direct connect will.

Garry - Sent from my iPad

On May 2, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

Hi Garry,

Your tests so far are good.  The green light on RigPi’s Ethernet connector should flash no matter what.  Can you temporarily plug RigPi directly into your main router to see if it tries to connect?

—Howard

Garry Chessen

I took my Rigpi to my son-in-laws house and tried to connect to his wifi. Rigpi said it was associated with the wifi with a green check on router name but the wifi symbol continually cycled and I could not go to the internet. I then turned wifi off, connected ethernet cable to router, rebooted but still could not get to internet. There must be something wrong with that board. Any other possibilities or ideas?

Garry Chessen  WB6IPQ

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Garry, move your mouse pointer over the up/down arrow icon on the Raspberry Pi desktop.  What does it say in the popup?

--Howard

Glenn VE9GJ

Hi Garry

Just a stab in the dark here. Is there any possibility that the SDCard is full? I recall once with a pi (not a rigpi) the card had filled up and would mount read only and it had no functioning network even though it looked like it should. A quick way to check would be to type
df -h

in a terminal which will list available space.
73
Glenn VE9GJ

<http://groups.io> <Garrychessen=gmail.com@groups.io
On May 2, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@cmmsft.com
<mailto:hlnurse@cmmsft.com>> wrote:
[...]

Howard here is photo

[...]

<image0.jpeg>

On May 2, 2020, at 5:21 PM, Garry Chessen via groups.io <Garrychessen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks Howard for getting back to me. I will try that tonight.  I did put the original SD card in to see if that helped.  Still the same. I would have thought if Ethernet was workin g I could access the setup of the extender> That did not work.  Hope direct connect will.

Garry - Sent from my iPad

On May 2, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

Hi Garry,

Your tests so far are good.  The green light on RigPi’s Ethernet connector should flash no matter what.  Can you temporarily plug RigPi directly into your main router to see if it tries to connect?

—Howard

Garry Chessen

Glenn, the SD card is a 64 gb. It is only at 9.4 gb used.

On May 4, 2020, at 6:30 PM, Garry Chessen via groups.io <Garrychessen@...> wrote:

Howard here is photo
<image0.jpeg>

[...]

OK, that popup says your RigPi is set up as IP 192.168.1.75.  You router assigns that address. Try pulling out the Ethernet cable and do the same test.  If the 192... number goes away, that is good news.

Can you open a CMD window in a PC on the same network?  If so, plug the Ethente cable in, confirm 192.168.1.75 and send the command

ping 192.168.1.75

If RigPi responds that will confirm the connection from your router to RigPi.

--Howard

Garry Chessen

Howard, I unplugged the Ethernet cable. I did not reboot but still shows 192.168.1.75. Tried ping in cod window on desktop connected to same extender. Ping timed out.

On May 4, 2020, at 6:56 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: More on ping]

Hi Garry

OK, that popup says your RigPi is set up as IP 192.168.1.75.  You router assigns that address. Try pulling out the Ethernet cable and do the same test.  If the 192... number goes away, that is good news.

Can you open a CMD window in a PC on the same network?  If so, plug the Ethente cable in, confirm 192.168.1.75 and send the command

ping 192.168.1.75

If RigPi responds that will confirm the connection from your router to RigPi.

Next open Terminal in the Raspberry Pi desktop and use this command:

dmesg | grep eth0

The last line should be eth0: link becomes ready.  If not what do the last few lines say?

Garry, since you are using a 64GB card, you must have the original RigPi card.  Can you power down, plug it in, power up and see what happens?

--Howard

Garry Chessen

Howard see pic

On May 4, 2020, at 7:47 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

Garry, since you are using a 64GB card, you must have the original RigPi card.  Can you power down, plug it in, power up and see what happens?

--Howard

Garry Chessen

Howard, I installed the 16 gb card. Same results. Ping times out. Command dmesg | grep eth0 has same result as 64 gb card.

On May 4, 2020, at 9:00 PM, Garry Chessen via groups.io <Garrychessen@...> wrote:

Howard see pic
<image0.jpeg>

On May 4, 2020, at 7:47 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

Garry, since you are using a 64GB card, you must have the original RigPi card.  Can you power down, plug it in, power up and see what happens?

--Howard

Garry Chessen

Howard just out of curiosity, I tried pinging my main router from Rigpi. It said:  ping 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.1.75. Destination Host Unreachable.

On May 5, 2020, at 12:34 AM, Garry Chessen via groups.io <Garrychessen@...> wrote:

Howard, I installed the 16 gb card. Same results. Ping times out. Command dmesg | grep eth0 has same result as 64 gb card.

On May 4, 2020, at 9:00 PM, Garry Chessen via groups.io <Garrychessen@...> wrote:

Howard see pic
<image0.jpeg>

On May 4, 2020, at 7:47 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

Garry, since you are using a 64GB card, you must have the original RigPi card.  Can you power down, plug it in, power up and see what happens?

Hi Garry,

I recommend trying a new Raspberry Pi 3B+.  It is unusual for a Raspberry Pi to fail, but all your tests don't leave any other possibility at this point.

--Howard

Garry Chessen

Ok Howard. I will check with MFJ as it is only 2-3 mos old.