Topics

IC-706MIIG SETUP

Dennis Carr

I'm looking for specific information on how to setup a 706MiiG with rigpi.
I have the MFJ-5706MD cable (w/mini din) connected for audio and a CI-V cable for CAT control.
When I start rigpi, everything comes up ok, but the rigpi won't connect to the radio. Errors out with "error: Rig control not started" when I click on Connect Radio.

Settings in Advanced:
Mfg: Icom Radio:IC-706MkIIG  Name:IC-706MkIIg R Port:None  Baud:4800  Stop: 1
R DTR: default  R RTS:default  CI-V:default PTT:None Tr Mtr:Output Pwr default  Mtr Cal: 6 Keyer: Rigpi Keyer  K Port:/dev/ttyS0  Tx Pwr:100

Output from Test:
TEST MODE Radio: 1
User: admin
Radio: 1
User: admin
Radio from settings: 1
Port from settings: None
ID from settings: 311
RigDo.php rigDoPID from settings: 4681
service_port: 453

output from rigctld -m 311 -r None -t 4532 -s 4800 --set-conf stop_bits=1 > /dev/null 2>&1 &:
[1] 1969

Dennis

John King

Dennis, when you get the real scoop, please share it with me. I have two 706 MK IIG rigs. I know almost nothing abut Rig Pi except that I have one. I am begging for help to be able to use my TS 2000 with the Rig Pi but help is hard to come by. Thanks and 73

John, K5PGW

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 1:07:03 PM CDT, Dennis Carr <carrd1952@...> wrote:

[...]

Perry Ogletree

Here’s your first problem…

“Port:None”

…and…

“Port from settings: None”

To get CAT working, you need the port name that the RigPi has given your USB to CI-V adapter to be selected as the “Port”.

Perry K4PWO

[...]

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Dennis, Perry is correct.  To add a bit to his suggestion, when you connect a USB cable to RigPi that is carrying serial data, RigPi will recognize it as such.  In Advanced Radio settings, it should appear in the R PORT drop-down list, looking something like /dev/ttyUSB0. If it doesn’t show there, something may be wrong with the cable so RigPi doesn’t see it.

If you are looking at Advanced Radio settings and make a change to the cables, refresh the window so it will rescan for new connections.

—Howard

Andy

Hi Dennis,
Agreed on the CI-V port needs to be correct on RPORT.
Your next challenge will be transmit control. If you have a solution please pass it on.
Unless something has changed, using the PTT from the GPI/O 17 was found to be unstable
on my system, If you can get it to transmit, it is hard to get it back to RX. In most cases, you cannot
rely on the PTT button red (TX) status because that is set by a command status read from the IC706mk2 which
is not supported by the radio. if you have your manual, check the CIV command set you won't find a TX command or TX status READ command.  Be careful and use a dummy load, it could get stuck in TX. I have a post somewhere on the group discussing the above from sometime ago.

If you want to use WJST, it works very well. You can modify the jumper board supplied with the cable assembly,
and use a USB to RS232 serial converter cable. You will need a RS-232 connector or cut a cable to pick out
the DTR signal on pin 4, pin 5 for ground.  DTR can be used by WSJT and FLDigi for TX control. Use a 2n222, 2n3904, general purpose transistor to pull down the PTT (actually the radio's HSEND) going to the radio, a resistor and diode are in there as well.
Attached is a marked up schematic of the mod that I did to make it work. You will be taking the RigPi's GPIO17
PTT out of the path.
From the old days, there was a CIV to RS232 Poor Man's converter using a couple of transistors.This might just be the method to provide the CIV command AND TX control using the RS232 DTR converter interface. I might try it out sometime.

The radio can be used with mumble, I am listening to the radio now, but no TX just yet.

Rig Pi works with the RigPi CW Keyer, you just need to configure the Rig Pi Keyer as shown in the attachment
and use a cable from the "KEY" jack in the rig pi to your 1/4" Key Jack on your 706. Just use the Tips and Shields on both. Of course, now your TX line is the Key Line.

It took some time to get the kinks worked out and seems to be working and stable on my station, please use the information carefully and at your own risk. If anyone finds anything to enhance or correct please pass it along

Have Fun 73
Andy