How many accounts?

Michael Foerster

How many accounts can you add to a single remote radio?
   I’m wondering if it would be possible to us a RigPi for our club remote.  We have 20 to 30 members.
      Can you allow some to have receive only access?
          Is it difficult to add extras? Do you have to copy macros and other settings?

Thanks & 73,
--
Mike, W0IH

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Mike,

The limitation in number of accounts is determined by the Raspberry Pi computing resources and the number of connected accounts.  I’ve found that the Raspberry Pi starts to run out of steam with 4-5 connected accounts.  This is due to the demands of servicing external browsers from the RigPi web server.

The other limitation is the Murmur (Mumble) server.  4-5 connected Mumble clients will impact performance.  One way around this is to use an external Murmur/Mumble host using a service such as Mumble.com.  Their pricing is based on number of users, but a 15-user account is under $5/month using their promotional offers.

The RigPi user database has a soft limit of 8 users, but that can be increased by adding records to the database.

The upcoming release has a receive-only option for accounts.  It also has the ability to save and restore macros to different accounts.,

In summary, RigPi will not work for more than 4-5 accounts active at one time.

—Howard

Michael Foerster

Edited

Howard,

We normally have only 1 or 2 connected at one time.
   I’m more concerned about signing up 20 or 30 club members who may occasionally use the remote.
      From your reply, it sounds like it won’t work.

Would each account (of the 5 allowed) have its own password?

--
Mike, W0IH

Howard Nurse, W6HN

If only 1-2 accounts are connected to RigPi at once, RigPi will be happy.  Each account has its own password, macros, and access privileges.  Each account can have its own log.  The current soft limit of 8 accounts can be easily changed to allow as many accounts as you like.  If you want to give that a try, let’s continue this discussion via private email and I can get you set.

—Howard