Topics

Updating WSJT-X

Larry Lentz

I want to upgrade the WSJT-X that comes out of the box. What OS do I download the upgrade for? Is Rasphian Stretch, ARMv6 the proper one, or another.

Tnx es 7s - N5LL

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Larry,

Here is a quick guide to updating WSJT-X:

https://photobyte.org/raspberry-pi-update-to-wsjt-x-v2-0-0/

wsjtx_2.1.2_armhf.deb for Stretch is the latest.

--Howard

PA3EKI

Hi all

Now running WSJT-X v2.1.0 24fcd1 on the RigPi

Is this the latest version for the Pi?

73,

Jaap – PA3EKI

Here is a quick guide to updating WSJT-X:

https://photobyte.org/raspberry-pi-update-to-wsjt-x-v2-0-0/

wsjtx_2.1.2_armhf.deb for Stretch is the latest.

WSJT-X 2.1.2 is the latest version.

—Howard

Larry Lentz

Thanks, Howard. Just figured that out. Actually decided to give the Rasbian a try. Worked a treat :-) Seems to have solved the issue I was having with the RSS out of the box WSJT 2.0.1 that wouldn't reliably key the transmitter in Hamlib.
73 - N5LL

Allen

Howard,
  I went on that site and for the upgrades they do not correspond to the proper version. 2.0.0. and on the site is 2.1.2. I tried the upgrade and went to the nest in terminal mode and it comes back no such directory in the command cd/home/pi/Downloads  I ask it to show directory. It comes up and at the bottom is the file in the downloads folder wsjtx_2.1.2_amhf.deb What am I doing wrong?
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Allen,

The problem with your cd command is a missing space.  cd (change directory) must be followed by a space, then the path to where you want to go.

cd /home/pi/Downloads

--Howard

Allen

Howard,
I omitted the cd in me response to you. But I also omitted the space. My bad. I was prompted with a pi password, Is this you protecting the program or is this my password? Thanks in advance
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Allen, unless you have changed it, the pi password is 7388.

--Howard

Allen

Howard,
  I used the wrong password it upgraded. It upgraded as expected. Sorry for the bother as I had a brain fart on passwords.
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

Allen

Howard,
   I was running the updated WSJT-X and I ended the program and unknowingly just shut the RigPi off without starting up RigPi to shut down the RigPi. Now when it boots up  I get a pi logon screen. I have used all my passwords and nothing works. My original setup password and then 7388. Both show different results if I used 7388 it just comes back and asks me again. If I use my original first password I get the red bar printed inside that red bar "incorrect password Please try again".  but not with the 7388. Why two different responses? How do I get back up and running?
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

p c

I had the same problem and MFJ sent me a new OS / SD card!!!

7388

Darn

K5PDC

On May 26, 2020, at 21:02, Allen <alhiggins@...> wrote:

Howard,
   I was running the updated WSJT-X and I ended the program and unknowingly just shut the RigPi off without starting up RigPi to shut down the RigPi. Now when it boots up  I get a pi logon screen. I have used all my passwords and nothing works. My original setup password and then 7388. Both show different results if I used 7388 it just comes back and asks me again. If I use my original first password I get the red bar printed inside that red bar "incorrect password Please try again".  but not with the 7388. Why two different responses? How do I get back up and running?
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

Allen

Darn,

I just sent them an email stating what has happened so let’s see what happens . Until then it sits on my shelf waiting.

[...]

Glenn VE9GJ

Hi Allen
Is the password prompt the one on the monitor plugged into the rigpi? Is it a windows style login or is it just a terminal (black window with text) style login?
Are you making sure the user name is pi?

73
Glenn VE9GJ

On 2020-05-26 10:02 p.m., Allen wrote:
Howard,
I was running the updated WSJT-X and I ended the program and unknowingly just shut the RigPi off without starting up RigPi to shut down the RigPi. Now when it boots up  I get a pi logon screen. I have used all my passwords and nothing works. My original setup password and then 7388. Both show different results if I used 7388 it just comes back and asks me again. If I use my original first password I get the red bar printed inside that red bar "incorrect password Please try again".  but not with the 7388. Why two different responses? How do I get back up and running?
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

Allen

Glen,
It is a pi login window in the center of my screen It has two options pi or other admin. I tried other and used admin with 7388 and no go. I even tried admin with no password and same no go results.
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

On 2020-05-26 10:02 p.m., Allen wrote:
Howard,
I was running the updated WSJT-X and I ended the program and unknowingly just shut the RigPi off without starting up RigPi to shut down the RigPi. Now when it boots up I get a pi logon screen. I have used all my passwords and nothing works. My original setup password and then 7388. Both show different results if I used 7388 it just comes back and asks me again. If I use my original first password I get the red bar printed inside that red bar "incorrect password Please try again". but not with the 7388. Why two different responses? How do I get back up and running?
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

Glenn VE9GJ

The user you should be using is pi unless you have done some modifications to the accounts on the rigpi.

Try a CTRL-ALT-F1 at the login screen. Does that get you to a terminal log in?
If so try logging in as user pi and password 7388 (or something else if you changed it.)
CTRL-ALT-F7 should switch back to the gui login

Note on the rigpi there is the RSS user pass that you use in a web browser or by clicking the RigPi shortcut on the RigPi desktop.
There is the user pi /password that is used to login to the desktop or an ssh app such as putty.
There is also a VNC password.
These can all be different and are unrelated but RigPi comes with then all set to 7388.

73
Glenn VE9GJ

Glen,
On 2020-05-26 10:02 p.m., Allen wrote:
Howard,
I was running the updated WSJT-X and I ended the program and unknowingly just shut the RigPi off without starting up RigPi to shut down the RigPi. Now when it boots up I get a pi logon screen. I have used all my passwords and nothing works. My original setup password and then 7388. Both show different results if I used 7388 it just comes back and asks me again. If I use my original first password I get the red bar printed inside that red bar "incorrect password Please try again". but not with the 7388. Why two different responses? How do I get back up and running?
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

Allen

Glenn,
   I did as instructed CTRL-ALT-F1 and it goes to terminal the CTRL-ALT-F took me right back to the desktop with a centered pi login screen.

--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

Glenn VE9GJ

Allen
When you were at the terminal screen (CTRL-ALT-F1) did you try to log in as pi? Try with password 7388 or any other password you may have set. If you succeed to get logged in you will have a $ prompt and we can fix things from there.

Glenn

Glenn,

   Ok I am in terminal mode and have the pi@rpi $. Now what di I need to do? Thank you for helping me on this.
--
Allen Higgins
KE8KZO

Glenn VE9GJ

Great! type:
sudo raspi-config <enter>

Now use arrow keys to scroll to:
3 Boot Options <enter>
Then
B1 Desktop/CLI <enter>
Then
B4 Desktop Autologin <Enter>

This should bring you back to the 1st menu.
Now use TAB key to navigate to the finish button and hit enter once more.

It will ask you to reboot, enter for yes.

Hope that works! If you needed something besides 7388 for the terminal login be sure to remember it.

Let us know how you make out.
73
Glenn VE9GJ

Glenn,