Topics

RigPi on Ras Pi4

pjcltd@...

Hi Guys
has any one tried  to get this working on a Ras pi 4 ?

thanks
Paul

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Paul,

We have RigPi rerunning under Buster being looked at by our Beta team now.  There are no problems so far.  Others have successfully upgraded Stretch on their RigPi’s to Buster, you can find related Topics by using the Search button at the top of the forum windows.

—Howard

N4BUT

Some guys have been successful, but I’ve tried and failed. And I’m usually pretty good with this kind of stuff.

We just need some instructions.

Ryan Tourge, N2YQT

My first attempt failed. I could use some instructions too.

Lawrence I. Kaplan

What are you attempting to do

Larry Ab3ty

On Dec 27, 2019, at 10:24 PM, Ryan Tourge, N2YQT <ryan.tourge@...> wrote:

My first attempt failed. I could use some instructions too.

Aaron Jones

I upgraded my Pi to a PI4 2gig about a few weeks after the PI4 released. I’ve enjoyed it. I will find my notes on the upgrade.  I also added an external SSD to run everything I the boot partition and it runs quite smoothly and is super stable.

Ryan Tourge, N2YQT

Thanks Aaron that would be a big help.

Ryan Tourge, N2YQT

Larry,
Upgrade to Buster. I’m usually pretty handy with this stuff but I haven’t had the time to work it out.

Kevin JJ1PJI

Upgraded from stretch to buster using a Raspberry Pi 3, Then got it working on a PI4.

Used sudo rpi-clone -f -p 256M -U sda to resize to a 256M boot partition, and copy a 16GB sdcard.  It will take some time.

On the Raspberry Pi 3:

Put new micro SD card in a USB reader.

$ git clone https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone.git

$ cd rpi-clone

$ sudo cp rpi-clone rpi-clone-setup /usr/local/sbin

$ sudo rpi-clone -f -p 256M -U sda

$ sudo shutdown

Remove the new micro SD card from the USB reader.

Put the new micro SD card in Raspberry Pi 3. (Keep your old card just in case)

Power on the Raspberry Pi 3.

Desktop Preferences / Add / Remove Software remove 2 checks from Wolfram and remove them from the system.  It takes too long to download. And I don’t use it.

$ grep -rl stretch /etc/apt/ | sudo xargs sed -i 's/stretch/buster/g'

$ sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

Stand by to hit yes to start.  Go do something this takes time.  Few hours….  I think I hit yes to most of the questions during the upgrade.

Need to run this to get the bootloader loaded with the right files to boot on a PI4

$ sudo apt install --reinstall raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel raspberrypi-net-mods raspberrypi-sys-mods raspberrypi-ui-mods

$ sudo shutdown

Remove the new micro SD card from the Raspberry Pi 3.

Put the new micro SD card Raspberry Pi 4.

Power on the Raspberry Pi 4.  Forgot to run the next line of code and had network and other errors.

  $ sudo apt purge timidity lxmusic gnome-disk-utility deluge-gtk evince wicd wicd-gtk clipit usermode gucharmap gnome-system-tools pavucontrol

$ sudo reboot

This worked for me on an FT-991A

Kevin JJ1PJI

Dan Heather

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for the exciting info on Pi4.

Forgive me for being a newbie when it comes to Raspberry Pi!  But I am curious to know if you were actually able to get the Pi4 working as a RigPi?  And did you use the the Pi3 MicroSD card with RigPi on it using JUST your instructions?

My simple mind concludes that you took a working RigPi Pi3 MicroSD and ended up with a working RigPi Pi4 MicroSD that does everything the same except 2X faster.  Is that correct or is there "more to the story"?

Thanks again!

73

Dan N1DH

On 3/8/2020 9:32 AM, Kevin JJ1PJI wrote:

[...]

Hi Dan,

Yes, the Pi4 working as a RigPi.  Used a back up of my original so I had to set the up everything again.  It is faster!   Your mind is correct.   Looking forward to an official update with a few fixes for my radio.

Kevin JJ1PJI