Topics

Remotely powering Radio/RigPi On/Off

HERB KEATON N2GEW

My apologies if this basic topic has been thoroughly covered in the past, but perhaps a "refresh"
is in order with all the new forum participants.

What is everyone doing that prefer not to leave power on to their radio when remote?

I have an Icom PRO series radio that does not support this function through Hamlib, so I
will power on the 12 V supply via a web accessible power switch. I have done this in the
past with remote access and it works. ALTHOUGH some have expressed reservations
about this method of powering on a radio, maybe do to surge concerns. But, it never caused an
issue for the ICOM 7000 that I was powering on /off.

And I presume this would be a acceptable way to power up/down the RigPi as well.
Would this be a preferred method or another way?

73 / Herb / N2GEW

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Herb,

RigPi has two macros, PWR ON and PWR OFF that can be used to switch an external device.  To use that option you have to put a check in the Keyer settings window “Enable Keyer PTT.”  You also have to have the RigPi Keyer selected for the radio in use.  I use a power switch described in RigPi Help that cost under $25 from Amazon.  It may not be available any longer, but check it out.

Even though Hamlib may not support CAT power on/off, if your radio does, you can create a custom macro to use the native CAT command to control power.

—Howard

Tom W5KUB <Tom@...>

Herb, you can use a commercially available wifi power switch to power off/on the power supply.  But I built a home brew box with a couple relays in it.  I use a switch contact setting out of the keyer settings and created a macro that says ANT/POWER on off.    I use that keying contact in the rigpi to control the homebrew relay box i built.   One relay simply disconnects the 110vac so the power supply goes off.  I also added in the same box a small antenna relay. (it was a coaxial ant relay i pulled out of an old motorola 2 way radio)  So when i turn the power off the power supply goes off plus the antenna relay disconnects the antenna and grounds the antenna.  That way the antenna is not connected to the rig 24 hrs per day when im not using it.  This protects the radio from near by lightning.  It also protects that remote control radio from getting burned out by you using another radio and high power amplifier.   I caused damage to my ts2000 by leaving the antenna hooked to it and calling a net using an amplifier on a different antenna. Even though the TS2000 was turned off that does not protect the antenna circuits.  Power came back down the antenna on the ts2000 and took out a number of parts and even burned a hole in the circuit board about the size of a dime.   de w5kub
Host of live weekly ham radio show called Amateur Radio Roundtable every Tuesday night at 8:00 PM central on W5KUB.COM .  Please join our ham radio facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/w5kub/

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 8:05 AM <herbk@...> wrote:
My apologies if this basic topic has been thoroughly covered in the past, but perhaps a "refresh"
is in order with all the new forum participants.

What is everyone doing that prefer not to leave power on to their radio when remote?

I have an Icom PRO series radio that does not support this function through Hamlib, so I
will power on the 12 V supply via a web accessible power switch. I have done this in the
past with remote access and it works. ALTHOUGH some have expressed reservations
about this method of powering on a radio, maybe do to surge concerns. But, it never caused an
issue for the ICOM 7000 that I was powering on /off.

And I presume this would be a acceptable way to power up/down the RigPi as well.
Would this be a preferred method or another way?

73 / Herb / N2GEW

W4TZB Wayne

I remotely turn power ON/OFF separately  on my IC7300 and on RigPi using Amazon Smart Plugs and an Echo Dot with the Alex app on my iPhone.

It is recommended that RigPi be shutdown before turning off the power, and this can be done from the menu on the RigPi TUNER screen on the iPhone under SETTINGS/SYSTEM/SHUTDOWN.

My Expert 1.5K-FA  is it wired to be turned ON/OFF with the IC7300 so it is controlled by the same Amazon plug as the IC7300.

For remote operation I also wanted to disconnect the antenna when the rig is off and I use the Paradan Antenna Disconnects and get the 12v DC from the same Amazon plug so when I turn off the IC7300 remotely, the Expert is also turned off and  the antenna is disconnected.

This is all shown on the block diagram on my QRZ page.

HERB KEATON N2GEW

Howard, Tom and Wayne:
Thanks gents for all the support, much appreciated. I do not believe that either Icom radio (IC-756PRO3, IC-7000)
nor Hamlib supports CAT power on/off. So a power switch of one variety or the other seems the easiest way
to deal with this short of going inside the radio (or a robotic "finger" to push a power button, HiHi!).

In my case, I have a web power switch (Alexa compatible) which will work well for this. I was concerned
about removing power from the radios in this manner but everyone's suggestion (whether a switch or relay)
is abruptly removing power from the radio in the same manner, so I interpret this as an acceptable method.

73 / Herb / N2GEW

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Just to follow up for anyone interested in a relay AC power switch, they are back in stock at Amazon:

Iot Relay - Enclosed High-Power Power Relay for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PIC or WiFi, Relay Shield https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WV7GMA2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZrkRDb7GNXEKQ

Works well, and less than $25.

—Howard

HERB KEATON N2GEW

Howard:
To follow-up on the use of this or a similar relay AC power switch, and from the technical
section of RigPi Help, it is possible to configure the Keyer PTT circuit to power on a
relay power switch. Using the DLL product as an example, after configuring the
Keyer PTT, a 3.5mm jumper would be used at the PTT of the RigPi Server and
connect to the relay, in this case on the side of the DLL power switch.

The PWR ON / PWR OFF macros are pre-programmed so once RSS is available remotely, the ON macro will
power up the switch.

For remote operation, an "independent" power switch (e.g. Amazon Smart Plug, Belkin Wemo, etc)
would still be needed if the RigPi Station Server isn't left powered on at the home station.

Did I interpret the technical section from the RigPi Help section correctly?

73/ N2GEW / Herb

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Herb,

Yes, your interpretation is correct.  Thanks for the details on using the Digital Logger switch.

--Howard

Michael Foerster

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 01:18 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN wrote:
Just to follow up for anyone interested in a relay AC power switch, they are back in stock at Amazon:

Another idea that I have used quite a bit, is to modify a computer outlet strip to use an SSR similar to:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-380V-40A-250V-SSR-40-DA-Solid-State-Relay-Module-3-32V-DC-To-AC/163888046797?hash=item26287d22cd:g:VcQAAOSwX7BacSxg
  I modified to outlet strip to use the SSR to activate the power and drive the input circuit directly from and Arduino or in this case, a RigPi.

I use these to power off all of my computer peripherals (monitor, speaker, etc.) when I power off my computer.  SSR is driven off the 5v of the computer.  I also, have one that is driven off the Arduino that switches DC power on my K3 power supply, speakers & rotor (the Arduino also automatically switches my antennas, following the K3).

--
Mike, W0IH