Two Questions

Leslie Loftin

Fellows/Ladies,
I have driven poor Howard crazy today with some issues on my RigPi.
So, I’ll not bother him with two more questions.
1. I have created a system backup to a flash drive using the onboard utility.
But now that it is created, how would I use it?
Copy the information to a SD and replace the one in the Rigpi?(Should that ever be needed)
Would the Rpi boot to a flash drive if the internal SD card is removed? (Like most OSs it would look for the first bootable drive or
partiton?)
2. I have logs that I have created that I would like to delete.
I can see how to create, alter, configure logs, but I see no where in the information I have on
how to completely delete a log. I see how to delete a contact or QSO, but not delete the entire log.

Your wisdom would be appreciated and Howard would love the break!

Les
WD5BYQ

KT7AZ

Les,

If you used the imager on the PI OS it is indeed bootable.  I have personally used the on board imager to copy to an external USB solid state hard drive which is how I now run the whole system.  It is quite a bit faster and will not wear out as fast as  an SD card.

Gary
KT7AZ

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Les,

To delete an entire log, click the “hamburger” icon upper right of the logbook window, look for Delete>Entire Log near the bottom of the list.

—Howard

Leslie Loftin

Thanks, Gary
Good to know. I am reading some more information on how to get the Pi to boot to an external device, so I think I am on the right track.

Les

On Sep 15, 2019, at 11:24 AM, KT7AZ <kt7az.v69@...> wrote:

Les,

If you used the imager on the PI OS it is indeed bootable.  I have personally used the on board imager to copy to an external USB solid state hard drive which is how I now run the whole system.  It is quite a bit faster and will not wear out as fast as  an SD card.

Gary
KT7AZ

KT7AZ

Les,

The PI 3B+ natively will boot from an external USB device.  Do the Backup Image on a selected USB drive, shut down and remove the SD card.  Leave the USB device connected and power up.  It should boot from the USB now.

Gary
KT7AZ

Leslie Loftin

Did not work the first time I tried it, but I may attach the Rigpi to a monitor and see if I can tell what is going on.
All I could see was a brief flash from the green LED and then constant Red (from the red LED). I could not see any ethernet connection either.
Thanks for your help.

Les

On Sep 15, 2019, at 5:53 PM, KT7AZ <kt7az.v69@...> wrote:

Les,

The PI 3B+ natively will boot from an external USB device.  Do the Backup Image on a selected USB drive, shut down and remove the SD card.  Leave the USB device connected and power up.  It should boot from the USB now.

Gary
KT7AZ

Mike K0JTA

I was interested in your comment that the PI will boot from a SSD!
I just sent for a small external USB SSD, so I do hope this will work.
Did you say that the boot time is faster?  (GREAT!)
Thanks and 73 from Mike, K0JTA

KT7AZ

Les,
if you are booting from an image that is on an external USB Hard drive getting power from the PI, I found that your power supply needs to be of suffient current.  Some Wall warts fold back when the initial power starts.   I use a USB cable with a splitter.  One part goes to the PI and the other to a separate USB power cube.  I was experiencing intermittent power ups until I did this.

I now use this option by Geekworm, the box holds the hard drive and can hold another PI as well.  The power supply that you buy for it has plenty of power.  The box has an external power micro USB port I then plug the RigPI into.  The RigPI box sits nicely on top of this box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRZRW7J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4HYWAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck,
Gary
KT7AZ

Leslie Loftin

Gary,
Thanks for the links. Sounds like a good idea. I was never able to boot successfully from my USB flash drive. BTW, in all the swapping around I was doing with a couple of SD cards, I managed to break in half the one with the Rigpi software. I have ordered a new one from MFJ. Got to be more gentle and less fumble fingered!!

I did download the latest Pi software from the “official” site and was able to successfully load it on to another SD card.
I was able to boot to the Pi board, but for now I am just a Raspberry Pi user. MFJ has indicated that the card has shipped.
Now, I think I know how to make a backup to a SD card and skip the flash drive. So, when the new card arrives a COUPLE of backups will be made! Some of us only learn the hard way.
I am curious to see if a new card will solve the Log Settings problem I was having, which is where this whole conversation began.
Thanks for you assistance.

Les
WD5BYQ