Topics

What radio DOES work with RigPi-1234 ? ? ?

Michael Roche

After reading of all the problems with many radios working with RigPi-1234, I'm wondering if there is ANY radio that DOES work?

Clint Chron

It works good with my Icom Ic-7100 and IC-7300.

Clint

W7KEC

From: RigPi@groups.io [mailto:RigPi@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Roche via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:50 AM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: [RigPi] What radio DOES work with RigPi-1234 ? ? ?

After reading of all the problems with many radios working with RigPi-1234, I'm wondering if there is ANY radio that DOES work?

kg9hfrank@gmail.com <kg9hfrank@...>

-73-  Frank    KG9H

On Sep 11, 2019, at 1:14 PM, Clint Chron <kiheiman@q.com> wrote:

It works good with my Icom Ic-7100 and IC-7300.

Clint
W7KEC

From: RigPi@groups.io [mailto:RigPi@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Roche via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:50 AM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: [RigPi] What radio DOES work with RigPi-1234 ? ? ?

Tom W5KUB

It works with practically every radio.  Many have been documented.  The biggest issue is that there are many ways to hook up to your transceiver and and all have some specific configuration based on how you select how to hook it up.  I have tested it on recent equipment Icom, yaesu, kenwood, and even have it working on a kenwood ts-570 which is probably 20 years old.

In addition to configuring it for your radio (radio menu settings must also be set for your configuration to match the rigpi) then you need to decide how you will use it.  Locally controlling a rig on your desk, or maybe controlling it across  your inhouse LAN, or even accessing it from outside your home via the internet.  All of these have to be configured to match what you want to do.

There is a lot of good help and experts on the rigpi forum and will help you to get yours going.

Tom W5KUB
Host of live weekly ham radio show called Amateur Radio Roundtable every Tuesday night at 8:00 PM central on W5KUB.COM .  Please join our ham radio facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/w5kub/

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 1:11 PM Michael Roche via Groups.Io <aa2ls=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mark Weisheimer

I think that Tom, W5KUB has summed it up well.
There are a lot of different ways that it can be connected and configured on some radios.

And speaking of Tom, purely by coincidence I talked to Tom on 40 meters one afternoon last week.
I use a K3/KPA500/KAT500 with the RigPi and the connection is Analog for audio using 2 3.5mm cables between the radio and the RigPi.
The CAT control from the RigPi is via a FTDI USB-DB9 cable to the radio.

Here I have also used a TS-590S using only a single USB A-B cable.
In addition, I have used the FT-991A with a single USB A-B cable.

--
73 - Mark - K8MHW
'A RigPi Enthusiast!' - I am not otherwise affiliated with MFJ or RigPi

Leslie Loftin

Using Rigpi successfully with an Icom 7600 and one USB cable.

Les
WD5BYQ

On Sep 11, 2019, at 2:10 PM, Mark Weisheimer <mweisheimer@...> wrote:

I think that Tom, W5KUB has summed it up well.
There are a lot of different ways that it can be connected and configured on some radios.

And speaking of Tom, purely by coincidence I talked to Tom on 40 meters one afternoon last week.
I use a K3/KPA500/KAT500 with the RigPi and the connection is Analog for audio using 2 3.5mm cables between the radio and the RigPi.
The CAT control from the RigPi is via a FTDI USB-DB9 cable to the radio.

Here I have also used a TS-590S using only a single USB A-B cable.
In addition, I have used the FT-991A with a single USB A-B cable.

--
73 - Mark - K8MHW
'A RigPi Enthusiast!' - I am not otherwise affiliated with MFJ or RigPi

Mitch Matteau N0DIM

I have it working with my FT-991A using one USB cable only.

From my view of the emails going back and forth, it seems that the ones that are quickly successful are the ones that get it working step by step, i.e., get the Pi up and running, get the RigPi software talking to the rig, get Mumble working on the Pi, then get it all working remote.

Great job, Howard and team!

Mitch N0DIM

M0MUU

I have got an ic-7300 working happily with it - they key is that there are so many settings to make sure are correct and lined up....

The problems I found were to do with settings. Settings that I changed and not saved, old settings that needed removing, non-aligned settings and conflict between different accounts after the same resources. Getting it to forget erroneous settings I found tricky.
All really to do with me not setting things up properly in the first place....
Also it is a computer, and if something else is running trying to use the same ports, or if one has it trying to do something over the Internet - and the Internet is not there - it of course causes problems.

W4TZB Wayne

Hi Clint

Your post caught my eye because you said you have both 7300 and 7100 working well.  

My 7300 works perfectly on USB0 but I cannot get RigPi to see my 7100 on USB1.  TEST RADIO gives error "Check radio connection and settings".

For 7100: Connectors DATA OFF MOD and DATA MOD are both set to USB and BAUD set to 19200 on both 7100 and RigPi Advanced Radio settings with standard 88h address.

Do you have any suggestions?    The 7300 set up very easily and I thought the 7100 would too. :(

Thanks and 73

Wayne W4TZB

W4TZB Wayne

Clint

NEVERMIND :)

It seems it was a PORT problem and by having Radio 1 (7300) running when plugging in Radio 2 (7100) it was recognized okay.

Before I had the 7300 OFF while trying to add the 7100.

Whatever the reason, it is working now. 

Wayne W4TZB

mtm267@...

Clint I've ordered the rigpi.  My plan is to use the IC7100 head in the truck and hot spot this over my I phone to base.  The rigpi located at base would be controlling my IC7610 which is preferred.  I also have a IC7300. 

Is this possible to use the 7100 control head in the vehicle so that I using the hand mic and all the functionality of the 7100 head so as not be pulled over for talking on the cell.  Let me know..thank so much

kind regards,

Michael W2MUR