Topics

K3s Question...

Michael Foerster

So I have an Elecraft K3s and I want to try the MFJ-1234.

I’ve been reading the forum quite a bit and I just want to verify:
    I can get by with the MFJ-1234MB (no sound card or keyer) and I can connect the Audio & Comms through the existing K3s serial/audio USB cable.
  (I’m aware of the power on pin that’s required through the 15 pin connector.)

Is is this correct?
--
Mike, W0IH

Mark Weisheimer

It depends upon whether you have the KIO3B USB interface with internal sound card in your K3s or not.
If you have that, then all you need to use is a single USB A to B cable for both audio and CAT control.

All K3(s) can work with RigPi but if you have only the analog TX RX audio interface on the rear of the K3 then your RigPi will need to have its own sound card.

--
73 - Mark - K8MHW
'A RigPi Enthusiast!' - I am not otherwise affiliated with MFJ or RigPi

Michael Foerster

I do, of course have the KIO3B in the K3s, it’s standard.
  Thanks for the reply, I’ll give it a try...
--
Mike, W0IH

Michael Foerster

Do I need a R-Pi 4 with 1 GB or 2GB of RAM?
   Is there any advantage to having more RAM?
--
Mike, W0IH

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Mike,

More RAM never hurts.  However, keep in mind that the Raspberry Pi 4 requires the new operating system, named Buster.  A memory card for the RPi3 running Stretch will not run on an RPI4.  We are still testing RigPi with Buster and will eventually have a release with full Buster support.  In the meantime, it is possible to update an existing Stretch card with Buster, which several have done.  If you decide to go that route, back up your existing Steps retch card first.  Be prepared for a lengthy process as Buster replaces Stretch.

73, Howard W6HN