Topics

How to connect Mumble to MFJ 1234. Kenwood TS 590s

Loic SM5VFE

Hello All!
Received the MFJ1234 today. I have read all PDF about TS 590 here. But I need some help to get it working.

I use VNC Viewer to see the MFJ 1234. I have problem to connect with Mumble. I don´t know what to type in to connect to MFJ1234. I don´t see the same log in on Mumble that I see on the TS 590 video.

Thanks in advance,

Regards from Loic, SM5VFE

Loic SM5VFE

I fixed the audio with Mumble. Not really sure what I did. But the video is really great for beginners like me. I will try some more tomorrow. I´m happy to get it up and running within a few hours.

Thank you. Regards from Loic, SM5VFE

Loic SM5VFE

The MFJ 1234 works really good. Within 3 hours I´m up and running remote outside my local network. I like this box a lot. :-)

All is working exept Power ON button. Anyone have a solution? Power OFF works but not Power ON.

Regards from Loic, SM5VFE

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Loic,

I’m so glad to see your report of success!

Power On can take up to 20 seconds.  Could that be the issue?

73, Howard W6HN

Loic SM5VFE

Hi Howard. Thanks for a great product and your reply.

No I got error message "Power on failed" "Try again"

I had also another small problem. I´m learning a lot.
Soundcard in MFJ 1234 was set to default. So Mumble didn´t work. How could this happen?

Finally is it much better use cable to the router or can I use MFJ-1234 Wifi with good results (I have good signals)?

Thanks in advance,
Regards from Loic, SM5VFE

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Loic,

Have you rebooted RigPi and retested Power On?  There are additional tests we can run to find out more if necessary.  Are you currently using the radio power switch to turn it on, or are you using a separate power supply?

Either WiFi or Ethernet to your router should work well.  You need to use the IP for the connection you select for port forwarding.

I'm not clear on your Mumble question.  Is rpi-proto selected in the device list when you right-click the speaker icon in the Raspberry Pi desktop?  What device is selected in Mumble>Configure>Settings>Audio Input>Device?

73, Howard W6HN

Loic SM5VFE

Hi Howard,

Yes I have rebooted Rigpi. I press manually the Power ON button on TS 590S.

RigPi  lost the TS 590 Mumble Audio input and output settings. I just wonder how that could happened? I had to select them again and saved them (I Think) . I have not rebooted RigPi after this.

Regards from Loic, SM5VFE

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Loic,

To save Mumble settings, after a change click Apply.  Then click OK and restart Mumble.  Mumble must be restarted to save changes.

We can use Hamlib commands to test Power On. More later.

Hi Loic,

Note that the power switch on the TS-590 doesn't turn the radio completely off.  It leaves some circuits, such as the serial CAT control, active so you can do Power On and Power OFF (standby).  Here is a test for Power On that uses direct Hamlib commands.

  1. Reboot RigPi and place the radio in standby ("Power Off").
  2. Go to the Raspberry Pi desktop and click the black Terminal icon, top left.
  3. In Terminal, type this command:  rigctl -m 231 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 \set_powerstat 1<enter>

The radio should turn on from standby.  If you get a communications error, look in SETTINGS>Advanced Radio and see if Baud is set to default.  If not, use the Baud rate you see there in this command: rigctl -m 231 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -s 4800 \set_powerstat 1<enter>  (Substitute the actual Baud rate for 4800.)

What do you see happen?

--Howard

Loic SM5VFE

Thank you. I will check above during weekend.

I was out remote to try Rigpi and I noticed that I don´t have any modulation at all from my TS 590s. I have set all meny parameters in the PDF for Kenwood TS 590s.

Anyone had this problem?

Regards from Loic, SM5VFE

Loic SM5VFE

In Terminal, type this command:  rigctl -m 231 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 \set_powerstat 1<enter>
I tried  3.bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
I must be doing something wrong.

Regards from Loic, SM5VFE